Telugu actor Mahesh Babu’s account frozen for nonpayment of tax
The GST Commissionerate has frozen two bank accounts of popular Telugu actor Mahesh Babu and accused him of not paying tax dues of ₹73.5 lakh.
Hyderabad GST Commissionerate has attached two bank accounts of the actor, one in Axis Bank and the other in ICICI Bank.
As per the GST department the actor has failed to pay Rs 18.5 lakh as service tax on the money that he earned through public appearance, advertising, product promotion, being brand ambassador and more.
The income from said sources is taxable, and has not been not paid for 2007-08.
The actor claims there are no pending tax payments from his behalf. Mahesh Babu has said that the authorities have erred in the matter and mistake is on their end.
The actor claimed that his services as a brand ambassador were made taxable only from 2010.
Meanwhile, Mahesh Babu will not be allowed any access to his bank accounts till he resolves the pending payment of ₹73.5 lakh, which includes tax, interest and penalty.
Social media users expressed their opinions on the issue.
Swamy Owaisanand @desidanda3 tweeted, “Replying to @ndtv He has alot of money he will pay but the question is did he recieve any Notice? Or he might not aware about it..Not a Big deal”
HIMAJA @Actress_himaja , “#MaheshBabu @urstrulyMahesh Deeply saddened by the immature behavior of some people I've been a fan of him since murari and got a golden opportunity to work with him in Spyder He is a true gentleman He is the most charitable hero and genuine person Jio offers 100% cashback on New Year”
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 11, 2019 SBI warns customers on ATM frauds
- Headlines February 9, 2019 Hailstorm in Noida-Delhi has social media excited
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Peranbu, a movie review - Guest column by A L Karpahaganesh
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Headlines February 10, 2019 Kangana Ranaut lashes out Alia Bhatt
- Events February 9, 2019 Animal Assisted Therapy for Mental Well-being!
- Headlines February 9, 2019 Akash Ambani and Shloka Mehta to tie the knot on 9 March
- Employment February 10, 2019 Program by DFID-UK, SCPwD & National Star College-UK equips trainers with strategies to promote workplace inclusion
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines February 6, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News