Telugu actor Mahesh Babu’s account frozen for nonpayment of tax
December 30, 2018
The GST Commissionerate has frozen two bank accounts of popular Telugu actor Mahesh Babu and accused him of not paying tax dues of Rs73.5 lakh.
Hyderabad GST Commissionerate has attached two bank accounts of the actor, one in Axis Bank and the other in ICICI Bank.
As per the GST department the actor has failed to pay Rs 18.5 lakh as service tax on the money that he earned through public appearance, advertising, product promotion, being brand ambassador and more.
The income from said sources is taxable, and has not been not paid for 2007-08.
The actor claims there are no pending tax payments from his behalf. Mahesh Babu has said that the authorities have erred in the matter and mistake is on their end.
The actor claimed that his services as a brand ambassador were made taxable only from 2010.
Meanwhile, Mahesh Babu will not be allowed any access to his bank accounts till he resolves the pending payment of Rs73.5 lakh, which includes tax, interest and penalty.
Social media users expressed their opinions on the issue.
Swamy Owaisanandâ€ @desidanda3 tweeted, "Replying to @ndtv He has alot of money he will pay but the question is did he recieve any Notice? Or he might not aware about it..Not a Big deal"
HIMAJAâ€ @Actress_himaja , "#MaheshBabu @urstrulyMahesh Deeply saddened by the immature behavior of some people I've been a fan of him since murari and got a golden opportunity to work with him in Spyder He is a true gentleman He is the most charitable hero and genuine person Jio offers 100% cashback on New Year"
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines July 19, 2019 One conviction in high profile murder of UK teen in Goa
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Reports of rift within Indian cricket team to be probed
- Events July 18, 2019 Josh Run
- Headlines July 20, 2019 Karnataka trust vote adjourned to Monday
- Employment July 19, 2019 Hatti Kaapi's coffee cups bring cheer for many reasons
- Get-hooked July 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked July 17, 2019 Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
- Get-hooked July 19, 2019 Australia refuses entry to Kerala Catholic priest for comparing kids with autism to animals
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Hrithik Roshan’s ‘Super 30’ hits theatres
- Events July 18, 2019 RUN for Wheels Marathon
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News