15 men still remain missing inside coal mine at Meghalaya
December 31, 2018
It has been over two weeks since 15 miners got stuck inside a 320 feet deep coal mine at the Lumthari village in East Jaintia Hills district of Meghalaya. In spite of rescue operations going in full-swing, they have not been able to take out even one person who is stuck inside. The men got stuck due to excessive flooding inside the mine. Reportedly, foul smells have been coming from inside the mine adding to the already tense situation.
The resources trapped in mines were humans and it was responsibility of entire govt. (State and Center) machinery to bring them back asap. Sad to see it took 17 days for govt to even react. Very unfortunate-Lakhwant Singh, Twitter User
On Saturday, a group of Indian navy divers from Vishakhapatnam arrived at the mine to intensify search operations. They have special diving equipments using which they will do an extensive search inside the mine. They said that rescue operations are going to take a lot of time.
All the 15 men have been stuck inside the mine since 13 December. In spite of a tragedy, the central government has chosen to not give much importance to the incident. Until date, only very few ministers have spoken about the tragedy. Only two ministers visited the mine site till date. The mine is reportedly owned by Krip Schullet who is already under arrest. Many youngsters work in mines at Meghalaya because they are paid over 4000 Rs every day for the risky job that they do. Missing of the 15 men inside the tunnel has thrown light on the dangerous mines in the state.
"Now, it's High time, Govt. should wake up and save mine workers. Their families are waiting. They are Human too!", tweeted Navjit Singh Tomar.
Watch in Sign Language
- Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
August 22, 2019
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- BJP leader files complaint against Anurag Kashyap
August 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 19, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Kamal Nath’s nephew arrested for fraud
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Kuldeep Devendra Rawal wants to be a change maker using the power of music
- Events August 22, 2019 Creative Pattern Workshop For Individuals with Special Needs
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Alleged sexual harassment of child with autism in Kerala highlights need for tougher rules
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Telephone services, Internet partially back in J&K
- Get-Hooked August 15, 2019 Visually impaired singer Muskan uses music to connect with the larger world
- Technology August 21, 2019 #InclusionChamps: Bleetech’s human-centric approach wins them Universal Design Award 2019
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Chandrayaan-2 enters Moon’s orbit
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News