15 men still remain missing inside coal mine at Meghalaya
December 31, 2018
It has been over two weeks since 15 miners got stuck inside a 320 feet deep coal mine at the Lumthari village in East Jaintia Hills district of Meghalaya. In spite of rescue operations going in full-swing, they have not been able to take out even one person who is stuck inside. The men got stuck due to excessive flooding inside the mine. Reportedly, foul smells have been coming from inside the mine adding to the already tense situation.
The resources trapped in mines were humans and it was responsibility of entire govt. (State and Center) machinery to bring them back asap. Sad to see it took 17 days for govt to even react. Very unfortunate-Lakhwant Singh, Twitter User
On Saturday, a group of Indian navy divers from Vishakhapatnam arrived at the mine to intensify search operations. They have special diving equipments using which they will do an extensive search inside the mine. They said that rescue operations are going to take a lot of time.
All the 15 men have been stuck inside the mine since 13 December. In spite of a tragedy, the central government has chosen to not give much importance to the incident. Until date, only very few ministers have spoken about the tragedy. Only two ministers visited the mine site till date. The mine is reportedly owned by Krip Schullet who is already under arrest. Many youngsters work in mines at Meghalaya because they are paid over 4000 Rs every day for the risky job that they do. Missing of the 15 men inside the tunnel has thrown light on the dangerous mines in the state.
"Now, it's High time, Govt. should wake up and save mine workers. Their families are waiting. They are Human too!", tweeted Navjit Singh Tomar.
Watch in Sign Language
- New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern wins praise for response to terror attack
March 25, 2019
- 111 farmers to contest elections against PM Modi
March 25, 2019
- Death toll from Cyclone Idai in South Africa rises
March 25, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
- Headlines March 20, 2019 Madhya Pradesh girl raped & killed, uncle & brothers accused
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Disabled people share uncomfortable encounters on social media with hash tag #AbledsAreWeird
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Parenting Corner- Potty Training Children with Down syndrome
- Parasports March 24, 2019 Kerala para athletes climb Nainital’s highest peak, aim to inspire youngsters
- Accessibility March 21, 2019 A tactile toolkit that explains what periods are all about to girls with vision & hearing disabilities
- Events March 20, 2019 Samam Vidya & Tinkerama Summer camp
- Headlines March 20, 2019 PM Modi’s biopic to release on 5 April
- Headlines March 21, 2019 Nirav Modi arrested in London
- Get-hooked March 22, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines March 17, 2019
Headlines March 16, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News