Paraplegic pilot Mike Lomberg dies in crash at Thailand
January 1, 2019
Paraplegic pilot Michael Charles Lomberg is now a memory. The pilot passed away in a plane crash in Thailand. Reportedly, Lomberg's aircraft crashed when he was trying to land the light sport aircraft at Bang Phra airport in Si Racha district. Guillaume Féral, another disabled pilot, also had a tragic end in the crash along with Lomberg. 60 year old Lomberg who hails from South Africa was an inspiration to thousands of people to follow their dreams. He was popularly known as Mike.
Lomberg was part of the venture Handiflight that promoted disabled pilots. The pilot who was on an around the world expedition has over 3850 flying hours to his credit. There were two other aircrafts in the expedition that was done to raise funds for charity. The team was on their way from Bangladesh and headed to Thailand. Reportedly, Lomberg's aircraft hit the power cables near the airport. Authorities had found several cables at the site of the accident.
Lomberg started from Switzerland on 17 November. He had made a stop at India on December. Disability groups across the world expressed their shock over the incident. Authorities of Handiflight said that they are ensuring a thorough investigation into the matter.
Gutted to hear that Mike Lomberg's plane had an accident in Thailand just before landing, and he is dead. We'd only spoke once at length, and I had wanted to go meet him and Guillaume in Nagpur, but it didn't work out. You went doing what you love, Mike. Hope you're flying free-Peter Griffin
Lomberg was working as a pilot with the South African air force when he met with an accident in 1990 that left him paraplegic. But the accident could not break his spirits. Lomberg got back to flying in 2011 raising many eyebrows. But he proved to the world that his disability never became a deterrent to achieve his dreams.
"Our condolences go out the family and friends of Mike Lomberg. What an inspirational man he was doing this flight", tweeted Elevate Aviation.
Even when condolence messages pour in from across the world, Lomberg's inspirational journey touches the heart of every person.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 14, 2019 World Down Syndrome Celebration
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
- Headlines March 16, 2019 Bangladesh cricketers escaped terror attack closely
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 Discriminatory medical admission guidelines regarding disabled aspirants crush this Ranchi doctor's dream
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 First PM Modi, now Mamata Banerjee shocks & offends with comments about mental disability
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Narendra Modi launches ‘Main Bhi Chowkidar’ campaign
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 No disability can come in the way of Swapna’s passion for art
- Accessibility March 12, 2019 Frame policies to enable dignified air travel for disabled passengers, says Supreme Court
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Accessibility March 12, 2019 Needed: An election manifesto for 80 million disabled citizens - My Take by Dr Ketna L Mehta
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News