India names team for Sydney Test against Australia
January 3, 2019
India has announced a 13-member squad for the fourth and final Test against Australia to be played at Sydney starting today. The presence of spinner Ravichandran Ashwin seems doubtful. Ashwin suffered an abdominal strain on the fourth day of the first Test in Adelaide. While he trained this week, he does not seem to have recovered in time.
While speaking to the media on Wednesday, captain Virat Kohli said that he was very disappointed that Ashwin would be missing the final match. However, Ashwin was still named on the squad list tweeted by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) with the rider,
A decision on R Ashwin's availability will be taken on the morning of the Test. - BCCI
Also missing are pacer Ishant Sharma. Instead fast bowler Umesh Yadav has been chosen.
Rohit Sharma, who hit a strong 63 runs in the first innings at Melbourne, is not available as he flew to Mumbai to be with his wife who recently gave birth to a daughter.
India lead 2-1 in the four-match series and are looking at a first-ever Test series victory in Australia.
In the meantime, there are concerns that Kohli's periodic back spasms could affect his career. Fears the captain played down at a press conference, saying, all players get "niggles". He said, "I've had this issue since 2011, it's nothing new." Kohli received treatment during the Melbourne Test against Australia last week, and seemed to be in pain.
Kohli has a recent history of back problems and was forced off the field during the second Test in England in 2018. Kohli has recorded highest international runs for three years in a row, and aims to be the first captain in Indian history to win a Test series in Australia.
Watch in Sign Language
- Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
August 22, 2019
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- BJP leader files complaint against Anurag Kashyap
August 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Alleged sexual harassment of child with autism in Kerala highlights need for tougher rules
- Headlines August 18, 2019 ‘Mission Mangal’ gets grand opening at box office
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Ex-minister Arun Jaitley on life support
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Ex-minister P Chidambaram arrested
- Technology August 18, 2019 Tech startup Wavio develops device that will help deaf people see sounds
- Parasports August 15, 2019 India triumph at Physical Disability World Cricket Series, will BCCI finally take note?
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Kerala nun seeks justice from the Vatican
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
- Parasports August 15, 2019 Sekhar Goud is India's first triple amputee to scale Mount Elburus in Russia twice
- Events August 21, 2019 Ageing with Grace Workshop for Seniors
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines August 15, 2019
Headlines August 10, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News