2 women aged below 50 enter Sabarimala Temple
January 3, 2019
Two females in their 40s finally managed to enter the Sabarimala Temple in Kerala on Wednesday at 3:45 am.
Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan also confirmed the news, he said," "We had issued standing orders to police to provide all possible protection to any woman who wants to enter the temple."One of the woman is 44-year-old civil supplies employee named Kanakadurga who has said that while praying in the temple she did not face any protest or violence from devotees.
Women aged between 10 to 50 years have been banned from entering the temple and the ban was lifted by the Supreme Court in September last year. However, despite several attempts and police protection, women were not able to enter the temple as thousands of people including devotees, Hindu factions and political parties kept blocking their way.
The Sabarimala temple was later shut for purification process after two women below the age of 50 years entered the shrine of Lord Ayyappa.
A video has gone viral on social media that shows the women entering the shrine using a side entrance which is reserved for VIPs.
The Bharatiya Janata Party- BJP has called for a two day protest in response to the entry of the two women.
Here are some social media responses to the recent developments.
Deviâ€ @soulofavidrohi tweeted, "Replying to @MomentsIndia Historic moment for India and specially women. This purification norm was questioned and settled by SC. Disgusting that they're disrespecting women like this."
Rahul Easwarâ€Verified account @RahulEaswar ," We condemn the Kerala CPM Govt and police conspiracy to secretly get in 2 young women into #Sabarimala by 3 am in morning Such cheap tactics are unbecoming of a State Govt."
Watch in Sign Language
- 13 dead in Mumbai building collapse
July 19, 2019
- Hrithik Roshan’s Super 30 made tax-free in Bihar
July 18, 2019
- Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
July 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Skills training programme for people with autism in Ernakulam
- Events July 16, 2019 Living Well with Epilepsy: An Interactive Session
- Events July 16, 2019 Open Voices Conference
- Get-hooked July 12, 2019 A born artist, Mashood believes in living life, king size!
- Events July 18, 2019 Inclusive Art : Shifting From Neurotypical Frameworks
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Some tips to help a child with Down syndrome sleep better
- Events July 11, 2019 Ensuring Safety of Children with Disability
- Parasports July 18, 2019 Dhoni is India’s pride & should stay - India's para cricketers root for the legend
- Headlines July 14, 2019 Kumaraswamy calls for floor test amid political crisis
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 #RareDiseases - Organisation for Rare Diseases in India is out to change perceptions
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News