Trump mocks PM Modi for funding library in Afghanistan
January 4, 2019
United States president Donald Trump has poked fun at Prime Minister Narendra Modi for funding a library in Afghanistan. At a cabinet meeting President Trump said that it was of no use.
Trump said he was unhappy with India's policy of contributing to the peace process in Afghanistan. He said he wanted the regional countries, including India, Russia and Pakistan to fight the Taliban instead.
Why is not Russia there? Why isn't India there? Why isn't Pakistan there? Why are we there? We are 6,000 miles away. But I don't mind. We want to help our people. We want to help other nations. - President Donald Trump, United States
India has committed US$3 billion in assistance to Afghanistan since the United States and its allied forces overthrew the Taliban regime after the 2001 terror attacks.
Trump referred to his friendly terms with Prime Minister Modi, but was critical of the library funded by India in Afghanistan.
"I could give you an example where I get along very well with India and Prime Minister Modi. But he is constantly telling me, he built a library in Afghanistan. Library! That's like five hours of what we spend in Afghanistan," Trump said.
India has committed to building a high school in Kabul and scholarships to India for 1,000 Afghan students every year. PM Modi has also committed to programs that empower Afghan youth with education and professional skills.
India responded saying developmental help can be critical to transforming Afghanistan. "India firmly believes in the critical role that developmental assistance can play in transforming human lives," said government sources.
Watch in Sign Language
- Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
July 17, 2019
- England’s World Cup win clouded by ICC rule controversy
July 17, 2019
- Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines July 11, 2019 India lose semi-final to New Zealand
- Events July 11, 2019 Inclusive Art Therapy Workshop
- Technology July 12, 2019 Excessive TV watching could trigger symptoms of ADHD in kids, says study
- Accessibility July 15, 2019 Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 #RareDiseases - Indian Rett Syndrome Foundation is raising awareness about this genetic brain disorder
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Sibaji Panda is bringing Indian sign language to the forefront
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Kangana accuses media of defamation
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Karnataka government trust vote on Thursday
- Events July 16, 2019 Screening of MetaMorphosis
- Headlines July 17, 2019 Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News