Kerala shuts down after Sabarimala protests
Kerala shutdown on Thursday due to heavy protests after two women entered Sabarimala on Wednesday. The strikes were organized by Karma Samithi, a group backed by the BJP, causing inconveniences at all the major highways and shops across the state. Normal life was disrupted and many tourists from across the state were stranded. Right wing groups attacked houses of workers from the communist party.
One of the protestors who suffered injuries died on Wednesday night. He was hit on the head by a stone during the protests. The Kerala government under leadership of Pinarayi Vijayan said that the government will not tolerate any injustice and will abide to the order of the Supreme Court of India that allows entry of women into Sabarimala.
The government did not face any resistance from true devotees when the two women entered Sabarimala. The protests are clearly against the Supreme Court of India. Police officers are being attacked by protestors. If the main priest in Sabarimala has a problem with following the Supreme Court orders, he must quit his position. The Kerala Devaswom decides whether to open or shut the temple. It is not the priest who decides it. The women’s wall is a great effort that is truly a revolution by women of Kerala and Kerala government will support such initiatives. The attack at devotees and women are clearly pre-planned by certain groups. The government is definitely going to take action against such injustices- Pinarayi Vijayan, Chief Minister of Kerala.
The Supreme Court of India had passed an order last September lifting the ban on entry of women into Sabarimala, which is the abode of Lord Ayyappa who is believed to be celibate.
On Wednesday, two women Kanaka Durga and Bindu (in their forties), entered the temple premises at 3.45 am and offered their prayers. The news was confirmed by Vijayan later on during the day. Ever since then, the state has been witnessing heavy protests by right wing groups. Congress and BJP leaders even went to the extent of saying that people in Kerala are now going to face the wrath of Lord Ayyappa.
Social media users were clearly angry and upset against the protests that caused them all a lot of inconvenience.
“BJP in Kerala forcing 6th hartal in 3 months against Supreme Court verdict on Sabarimala ? May Lord Ayyappa's wrath fall on them for causing immense hardship to people and blocking the livelihood of millions of daily wage workers”, tweeted Dr KJ Wilson.
Watch in Sign Language
- PM Modi’s gifts to be auctioned for Ganga
January 23, 2019
- Indian-origin Kamala Harris to run for U.S president
January 23, 2019
- 3 top cricket awards for Virat in 2018
January 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events January 19, 2019 Workshop on Secrets to Deal with ADHD Children
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Some things to not tell a disabled person when you meet online
- Events January 20, 2019 Trinayani's 18th Inclusive Monthly Meetup
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Get-hooked January 20, 2019 Understanding Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Headlines January 19, 2019 Heavy fog disrupts flights, trains in Delhi
- Employment January 22, 2019 At India Business Disability Network launch, industry leaders champion workplace inclusion
- Headlines January 17, 2019 Jadavpur University Professor sacked for sexist remarks
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Parenting Disability: Me as an orthpedically challenged child - Guest Column by Payal Kukreja
- Events January 18, 2019 Rapid & Blitz Chess Tournament
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News