Maharashtra government slammed for denying honours to cricket coach
January 5, 2019
The Shiv Sena has criticized the Maharashtra government for denying a state funeral to Ramakant Achrekar, the legendary cricket coach who passed away in Mumbai earlier this week.
The Sena has also asked former cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, who was a student of Mr Achrekar, to boycott all government events.
Sanjay Raut, a senior Sena leader took to Twitter to voice his protest.
Why wasn't Padmashree and Dronacharya awardee Ramakant Acharekar given state funeral and respect by the Maharashtra government? The Government has shown complete disregard towards Ramakant Acharekar. Sachin Tendulkar should boycott government programs henceforth. - Sanjay Raut, Shiv Sena leader
Mr Acharekar died at the age of 87 in Mumbai. Apart from Tendulkar, he trained Vinod Kambli and many other cricketers at Shivaji Park in Dadar, Mumbai.
A senior minister in Maharashtra government has admitted that there was an oversight on the part of authorities due to a communication gap. Maharashtra Housing Minister Prakash Mehta represented the state government at the funeral of the coach and said that the denial of a state funeral was "sad and unfortunate".
The Sena slammed the government in an editorial in party mouthpiece Saamna and called the lack of a state funeral, "troubling". "The government forgot to fulfil its responsibility and accord a state funeral to the great Acharya and blamed it on a communication gap. It is as much troubling as it is harrowing".
Tendulkar, who was present at his coach's funeral, paid a tribute to Mr Achrekar on social media, saying "You'll always be in our hearts."
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Seventh & final phase of voting in general elections today
- Headlines May 14, 2019 Sri Lanka suspends social media after anti-Muslim riots
- Accessibility May 15, 2019 Election Commission falls short of accessibility goals, faces heat from disability rights groups
- Get-hooked May 15, 2019 "Treat us as equals" - Disabled staff manning voting booth in Delhi send out a loud, clear message
- Get-hooked May 15, 2019 Some tips to support children with multiple disabilities
- Get-hooked May 17, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 CRPF jawan & Pulwama attack survivor feeds disabled boy in Kashmir, wins hearts
- Events May 15, 2019 Music Therapy Workshop
- Parasports May 20, 2019 Passion for sports keeps Amresh's spirits up through the worst of times
- Accessibility May 16, 2019 In a first, people with disabilities attend the famous Thrissur Pooram
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News