Maharashtra government slammed for denying honours to cricket coach
January 5, 2019
The Shiv Sena has criticized the Maharashtra government for denying a state funeral to Ramakant Achrekar, the legendary cricket coach who passed away in Mumbai earlier this week.
The Sena has also asked former cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, who was a student of Mr Achrekar, to boycott all government events.
Sanjay Raut, a senior Sena leader took to Twitter to voice his protest.
Why wasn't Padmashree and Dronacharya awardee Ramakant Acharekar given state funeral and respect by the Maharashtra government? The Government has shown complete disregard towards Ramakant Acharekar. Sachin Tendulkar should boycott government programs henceforth. - Sanjay Raut, Shiv Sena leader
Mr Acharekar died at the age of 87 in Mumbai. Apart from Tendulkar, he trained Vinod Kambli and many other cricketers at Shivaji Park in Dadar, Mumbai.
A senior minister in Maharashtra government has admitted that there was an oversight on the part of authorities due to a communication gap. Maharashtra Housing Minister Prakash Mehta represented the state government at the funeral of the coach and said that the denial of a state funeral was "sad and unfortunate".
The Sena slammed the government in an editorial in party mouthpiece Saamna and called the lack of a state funeral, "troubling". "The government forgot to fulfil its responsibility and accord a state funeral to the great Acharya and blamed it on a communication gap. It is as much troubling as it is harrowing".
Tendulkar, who was present at his coach's funeral, paid a tribute to Mr Achrekar on social media, saying "You'll always be in our hearts."
Watch in Sign Language
- Indian cricket team gears up for World Cup 2019
March 18, 2019
- Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
March 18, 2019
- New Zealand attack - 3 men from Hyderabad among 50 killed
March 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 Election Commission's voter helpline 1950 proves to be a letdown for disabled community in Chennai
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Understanding Inborn Errors of Metabolism
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Rewire your brain – Guest Column by Dr Elavatsala Sharma
- Accessibility March 14, 2019 Court asks ministries to respond to PIL challenging separate ID cards for rail concessions for disabled people
- Events March 14, 2019 Beat It! Drums and Mridangam Show
- Get-hooked March 14, 2019 #WonderWoman - Acid attack survivor Laxmi Agarwal shows incredible will in the face of repeated odds
- Accessibility March 12, 2019 Needed: An election manifesto for 80 million disabled citizens - My Take by Dr Ketna L Mehta
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 #WonderWoman - Priya Bhargav embodies the warrior spirit in many ways
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News