Maharashtra government slammed for denying honours to cricket coach
January 5, 2019
The Shiv Sena has criticized the Maharashtra government for denying a state funeral to Ramakant Achrekar, the legendary cricket coach who passed away in Mumbai earlier this week.
The Sena has also asked former cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, who was a student of Mr Achrekar, to boycott all government events.
Sanjay Raut, a senior Sena leader took to Twitter to voice his protest.
Why wasn't Padmashree and Dronacharya awardee Ramakant Acharekar given state funeral and respect by the Maharashtra government? The Government has shown complete disregard towards Ramakant Acharekar. Sachin Tendulkar should boycott government programs henceforth. - Sanjay Raut, Shiv Sena leader
Mr Acharekar died at the age of 87 in Mumbai. Apart from Tendulkar, he trained Vinod Kambli and many other cricketers at Shivaji Park in Dadar, Mumbai.
A senior minister in Maharashtra government has admitted that there was an oversight on the part of authorities due to a communication gap. Maharashtra Housing Minister Prakash Mehta represented the state government at the funeral of the coach and said that the denial of a state funeral was "sad and unfortunate".
The Sena slammed the government in an editorial in party mouthpiece Saamna and called the lack of a state funeral, "troubling". "The government forgot to fulfil its responsibility and accord a state funeral to the great Acharya and blamed it on a communication gap. It is as much troubling as it is harrowing".
Tendulkar, who was present at his coach's funeral, paid a tribute to Mr Achrekar on social media, saying "You'll always be in our hearts."
Watch in Sign Language
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
- #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
August 20, 2019
- Primary schools reopen in J&K
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events August 14, 2019 Unity through Performing Arts
- Accessibility August 13, 2019 Foreign doctors question MCI guidelines regarding disabled medical aspirants ahead of crucial hearing
- Get-Hooked August 14, 2019 Inclusive art festival aims to uncover new opportunities for Bengaluru residents
- Events August 14, 2019 Special Buddies Program
- Accessibility August 14, 2019 “People with disabilities working in health care inform better care & access” – Dr Lisa Meeks
- Technology August 15, 2019 'Smart Car Seat for Differently-Abled' gets a thumbs up for innovation & creativity
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Kerala minister K K Shailaja steps in for deaf child affected in the floods
- Parasports August 15, 2019 India triumph at Physical Disability World Cricket Series, will BCCI finally take note?
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Kerala man Noushad wins hearts in flood-hit Kerala
- Get-Hooked August 13, 2019 Enjoy this Independence Day with an inclusive trek at Raigad, Maharashtra
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines August 15, 2019
Headlines August 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News