New study points out adults with cerebral palsy are prone to depression & anxiety
January 7, 2019
In the modern world, rates of people with depression and anxiety are very high. Lack of strong relationships, stress, poor lifestyle habits and excessive work are some of the main reasons for depression and anxiety.
The risk is even higher for people with cerebral palsy, says a new study. A developmental disorder, cerebral palsy affects muscle coordination and leads to certain other conditions as well.
This new study was conducted based on various factors, including socio-economic status, sex and age of a person. So, how do adults with CP cope with this? We spoke to some people with the condition who have careers and are determined to live their lives to the fullest.
Salesh Dipak, a sub0editor with Chennai media company Awesome Machi, says he suffered from a bout of depression but fought to overcome it.
People with cerebral palsy are prone to mood swings and depression. I am a depression survivor and I am glad to say that I have overcome it. I believe that it happens mainly due to a lack of understanding among peers and the isolation one has to deal with. - Salesh Dipak, Sub-Edtior, Awesome Machi
The risk of depression is higher among those with cerebral palsy and intellectual disability says the study. The study will explore the factors in greater depth to know why this is so.
Vinayana Khurana, a Delhi-based poet and writer with cerebral palsy says she refuses to allow her disability to get her down or anxious. An avid blogger, she finds an outlet for her feelings in the world of art and literature.
"I personally feel that it is wrong to associate cerebral palsy with depression because any person can be affected by depression, whether you have a disability or not. It all depends on the environment that they are living in. It must be favourable so that they can follow their needs and aspirations", says Khurana.
Depressions affects everyone, it is the attitude that matters. Clearly, for someone with a disability, the challenges may be more given the lack of accessibility and support.
Watch in Sign Language
- "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
March 20, 2019
- Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
March 20, 2019
- Child prodigy Joshua Beckford proves disability need not be a roadblock to your dreams
March 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 20, 2019 1st ODI National Zone Cricket Championship for Deaf
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Indian cricket team gears up for World Cup 2019
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Rewire your brain – Guest Column by Dr Elavatsala Sharma
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 First PM Modi, now Mamata Banerjee shocks & offends with comments about mental disability
- Employment March 18, 2019 Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Parikkar given state funeral with military honours
- Get-hooked March 14, 2019 Madras High Court directs implementation of 3% job quota for disabled people, activists unhappy
- Events March 14, 2019 Future Planning for persons with special needs
- Events March 20, 2019 Parent Interaction With Jo Chopra
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News