Twitter war between Haryana minister & shooter Manu Bhaker
January 7, 2019
Haryana Sports Minister Anil Vij and ace shooter Manu Bhaker are having a harsh exchange of words over Twitter over a promised cash reward.
The controversy started after 16-year-old Bhaker asked if Vij intended to honour his promise of giving her a cash reward of Rs. two crore for winning the Youth Olympic Games in 2018.
Her tweet contained screenshots from Vij's Twitter handle and a question - "Sir, Please confirm if it is correct... Or just Jumla (false promise)."
The screenshots showed Vij announcing that the Haryana government would grant Bhaker a cash prize of Rs two crore as against the Rs 10 lakh awards given by previous governments. Bhaker's question started a controversy on social media and Vij came forward with a clarification and rebuke.
Manu Bhaker should have first confirmed it from the sports department before posting (such questions) on the public domain. It is disgusting to denounce a state government that's giving the highest awards in the country. Bhaker will get the Rs. 2 crore as tweeted by me, and as per the notification at the time. There should be some sense of discipline in players. Bhaker should feel sorry for creating this controversy. She has a long way to go. She should focus on her game only. - Anil Vij, Haryana Sports Minister
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar also jumped in and said, "Manu Bhaker will get award money as per the rules of the department, but tweeting over it is not good. I think nobody should have a problem with the rules."
Bhaker has made her mark in shooting ranges across the world, winning multiple golds. Last year, many sportspersons battled with the Haryana government over an order requiring them to deposit one-third of their income from professional sports or commercial endorsements with the state sports council. This was later suspended.
Watch in Sign Language
- Indian cricket team gears up for World Cup 2019
March 18, 2019
- Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
March 18, 2019
- New Zealand attack - 3 men from Hyderabad among 50 killed
March 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 14, 2019 World Down Syndrome Celebration
- Accessibility March 14, 2019 Court asks ministries to respond to PIL challenging separate ID cards for rail concessions for disabled people
- Get-hooked March 12, 2019 Indian Rett Syndrome Foundation is raising awareness about this rare disease
- Events March 14, 2019 Future Planning for persons with special needs
- Get-hooked March 13, 2019 Don't let headphones damage your ears, says experts
- Get-hooked March 12, 2019 Hyderabad-based center offers course in learning disabilities
- Accessibility March 13, 2019 Railways' refusal to accept UDID cards underlines larger apathy towards disabled passengers
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Female Special Police Officer in J&K shot dead by terrorists
- Accessibility March 12, 2019 Needed: An election manifesto for 80 million disabled citizens - My Take by Dr Ketna L Mehta
- Headlines March 13, 2019 Gautam Gambhir to join politics soon, says reports
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines March 16, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News