Twitter war between Haryana minister & shooter Manu Bhaker
January 7, 2019
Haryana Sports Minister Anil Vij and ace shooter Manu Bhaker are having a harsh exchange of words over Twitter over a promised cash reward.
The controversy started after 16-year-old Bhaker asked if Vij intended to honour his promise of giving her a cash reward of Rs. two crore for winning the Youth Olympic Games in 2018.
Her tweet contained screenshots from Vij's Twitter handle and a question - "Sir, Please confirm if it is correct... Or just Jumla (false promise)."
The screenshots showed Vij announcing that the Haryana government would grant Bhaker a cash prize of Rs two crore as against the Rs 10 lakh awards given by previous governments. Bhaker's question started a controversy on social media and Vij came forward with a clarification and rebuke.
Manu Bhaker should have first confirmed it from the sports department before posting (such questions) on the public domain. It is disgusting to denounce a state government that's giving the highest awards in the country. Bhaker will get the Rs. 2 crore as tweeted by me, and as per the notification at the time. There should be some sense of discipline in players. Bhaker should feel sorry for creating this controversy. She has a long way to go. She should focus on her game only. - Anil Vij, Haryana Sports Minister
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar also jumped in and said, "Manu Bhaker will get award money as per the rules of the department, but tweeting over it is not good. I think nobody should have a problem with the rules."
Bhaker has made her mark in shooting ranges across the world, winning multiple golds. Last year, many sportspersons battled with the Haryana government over an order requiring them to deposit one-third of their income from professional sports or commercial endorsements with the state sports council. This was later suspended.
Watch in Sign Language
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
- #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
August 20, 2019
- Primary schools reopen in J&K
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Kerala nun seeks justice from the Vatican
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Alleged sexual harassment of child with autism in Kerala highlights need for tougher rules
- Accessibility August 14, 2019 Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
- Parasports August 15, 2019 India triumph at Physical Disability World Cricket Series, will BCCI finally take note?
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Heavy rains bring down temperatures in Delhi
- Headlines August 17, 2019 UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Expect little international support on J&K, says Pakistan foreign minister
- Headlines August 18, 2019 ‘Mission Mangal’ gets grand opening at box office
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Kerala minister K K Shailaja steps in for deaf child affected in the floods
- Events August 14, 2019 Adolescent Training and Sex Education Workshop
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News