Twitter war between Haryana minister & shooter Manu Bhaker
January 7, 2019
Haryana Sports Minister Anil Vij and ace shooter Manu Bhaker are having a harsh exchange of words over Twitter over a promised cash reward.
The controversy started after 16-year-old Bhaker asked if Vij intended to honour his promise of giving her a cash reward of Rs. two crore for winning the Youth Olympic Games in 2018.
Her tweet contained screenshots from Vij's Twitter handle and a question - "Sir, Please confirm if it is correct... Or just Jumla (false promise)."
The screenshots showed Vij announcing that the Haryana government would grant Bhaker a cash prize of Rs two crore as against the Rs 10 lakh awards given by previous governments. Bhaker's question started a controversy on social media and Vij came forward with a clarification and rebuke.
Manu Bhaker should have first confirmed it from the sports department before posting (such questions) on the public domain. It is disgusting to denounce a state government that's giving the highest awards in the country. Bhaker will get the Rs. 2 crore as tweeted by me, and as per the notification at the time. There should be some sense of discipline in players. Bhaker should feel sorry for creating this controversy. She has a long way to go. She should focus on her game only. - Anil Vij, Haryana Sports Minister
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar also jumped in and said, "Manu Bhaker will get award money as per the rules of the department, but tweeting over it is not good. I think nobody should have a problem with the rules."
Bhaker has made her mark in shooting ranges across the world, winning multiple golds. Last year, many sportspersons battled with the Haryana government over an order requiring them to deposit one-third of their income from professional sports or commercial endorsements with the state sports council. This was later suspended.
Watch in Sign Language
- Mamata's nephew sends defamation notice to PM
May 20, 2019
- Delhi Police reacts to Kejriwal’s comment on security
May 20, 2019
- Exit polls predict comfortable win for BJP
May 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 14, 2019 The Relic, a novel by team of 2 disabled writers has many readers hooked
- Accessibility May 15, 2019 Election Commission falls short of accessibility goals, faces heat from disability rights groups
- Headlines May 17, 2019 PM promises to build statue of reformer Vidyasagar
- Get-hooked May 16, 2019 #BeingMom - What makes Nalini Srivastava such a power mom?
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Delhi Police reacts to Kejriwal’s comment on security
- Accessibility May 16, 2019 #TechThursdays - Remote-controlled toilet bed is a life saver for people bedridden due to disability
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 #BeingMom - Vinayana Khurana's creative side was enhanced by mother Neerja
- Parasports May 20, 2019 Passion for sports keeps Amresh's spirits up through the worst of times
- Events May 15, 2019 Sign Language Course
- Get-hooked May 14, 2019 #BeingMom – Celebrating my mother, Mrs Krishna Kumari – My Take by Aparna Murthy
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News