Two-day Bharat Bandh disrupts life in metros
January 9, 2019
Over 20 crore workers of the central trade unions have gone on a two day nationwide strike to protest against the central government's anti-worker policies and unilateral labour reforms. On the Bharat Bandh that started on Tuesday, trade unions were joined by bank employees, public and unorganized sector employees, dock and port workers as well.
Trade unions alleged that the central government's attack on the lives and livelihood of working people have caused them a lot of inconvenience. Farmers, students and teacher organizations have also extended their full support for the strike. Certain sections of bank employees refused to work on Tuesday after participating in the strike.
#BharatBandh In d last less than 5 years of N.D.A rule, workers, farmers & every citizen of this country are living in great difficulty. I support this Bharat Bandh- Sharad Yadav, Former National President of Janata Dal
The strike affected many parts of the country. Government and private transport systems came to a standstill on Tuesday. Over 3,000 BEST buses in Mumbai cancelled their trips on Tuesday causing a loss of at least Rs 3 crore. Over 33,000 best employees joined the strike demanding their rights.
Social media users were clearly not happy with the way normal life was disrupted due to the Bharat Bandh.
"Did you know that #BharatBandh was formulated for the first time by our forefathers with the sole intention of damaging British run economy It was the main weapon during civil disobedience But today we are using it to ruin our own economy Communists lead in this Anti-India act", tweeted Mahesh Vikram Hegde.
Watch in Sign Language
- BJP releases first list of candidates for elections
March 22, 2019
- Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
March 22, 2019
- Trailer of biopic PM Narendra Modi gets over one million views
March 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 Parenting corner- Managing stress
- Headlines March 20, 2019 One CRPF jawan killed, six others injured in naxal attack
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Global brand IKEA goes accessible, launches 3D printable furniture pieces
- Headlines March 21, 2019 Mayawati will not contest 2019 general elections
- Get-hooked March 22, 2019 National award winner, dancer & sportsman, all-rounder Akshay inspires youngsters
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 #WonderWoman - Ketna Mehta is giving people with disabilities wings to fly
- Events March 19, 2019 Annual Seminar on Inclusion & Accessibility of Deaf
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Parikkar given state funeral with military honours
- Events March 19, 2019 BGFI's session on STEM study - An Inclusive Avenue for the Blind
- Events March 17, 2019 Accessible Text Creation Workshop
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News