Two-day Bharat Bandh disrupts life in metros
January 9, 2019
Over 20 crore workers of the central trade unions have gone on a two day nationwide strike to protest against the central government's anti-worker policies and unilateral labour reforms. On the Bharat Bandh that started on Tuesday, trade unions were joined by bank employees, public and unorganized sector employees, dock and port workers as well.
Trade unions alleged that the central government's attack on the lives and livelihood of working people have caused them a lot of inconvenience. Farmers, students and teacher organizations have also extended their full support for the strike. Certain sections of bank employees refused to work on Tuesday after participating in the strike.
#BharatBandh In d last less than 5 years of N.D.A rule, workers, farmers & every citizen of this country are living in great difficulty. I support this Bharat Bandh- Sharad Yadav, Former National President of Janata Dal
The strike affected many parts of the country. Government and private transport systems came to a standstill on Tuesday. Over 3,000 BEST buses in Mumbai cancelled their trips on Tuesday causing a loss of at least Rs 3 crore. Over 33,000 best employees joined the strike demanding their rights.
Social media users were clearly not happy with the way normal life was disrupted due to the Bharat Bandh.
"Did you know that #BharatBandh was formulated for the first time by our forefathers with the sole intention of damaging British run economy It was the main weapon during civil disobedience But today we are using it to ruin our own economy Communists lead in this Anti-India act", tweeted Mahesh Vikram Hegde.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility May 16, 2019 #TechThursdays - Remote-controlled toilet bed is a life saver for people bedridden due to disability
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Sensex witness steep high after exit poll results
- Get-hooked May 17, 2019 Accessibility among 5 areas under focus in 11th edition of NASSCOM Social Innovation Forum
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 Music knows no boundaries so why barriers at concert venues, ask disabled music lovers
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - Behind swimming champ Ankita Anvikar's success story is mom Anjali
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Vivek Oberoi deletes offensive tweet about Aishwarya, apologises
- Headlines May 16, 2019 Saurav Ganguly says Pakistan is a World Cup favourite
- Employment May 17, 2019 La-Monnaie Skills enables disabled youth to flower into resourceful, contributing citizens
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News