Elections will not disrupt India's plan to host all IPL matches
January 10, 2019
The 2019 edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) will take place entirely in India in spite of the upcoming general elections that are expected to take place during April and May. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) confirmed the news on Tuesday. The VIVO sponsored IPL is expected to kick-start on 23 March this year. Detailed schedule of the games will be finalised soon, which will be mostly by the first week of February.
The committee of administrators appointed by the Supreme Court of India is looking into details of venues where the matches can be held ahead of the elections. Reportedly, even the franchises wanted the matches to be held in India. Officials are also looking into tightening the security measures for the upcoming IPL matches.
This news came as a huge relief to cricket fans in India who thought that the matches are either going to be postponed or changed to some other venues in other countries.
Franchises, sponsors and broadcast rights holders, and more importantly the fans, will be delighted to know that #IPL2019 will be in India in its entirety-Harsha Bhogle, Indian Cricket Commentator
IPL venues were changed twice before due to elections. In 2009, IPL was played in South Africa whereas in 2014, it was played in the UAE. But this time, fans can definitely cheer for their favourite teams from home.
Indian cricket player Ravindra Jadeja also confirmed the news by tweeting about it.
"IPL 2019 will be played in India, will start on 23rd March. Which team are you supporting? #IPL2019", tweeted Ravindra Jadeja.
The upcoming IPL 2019 will be the 12th edition of one of the world's most glamorous sport events. International players come together for the event that is filled with glitz and glamour.
Watch in Sign Language
- Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
August 22, 2019
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- BJP leader files complaint against Anurag Kashyap
August 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events August 21, 2019 GO PLAY - A Parent Education Program
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 "Love can be limitless if people recognise, accept and celebrate a person with a difference" - Jasmina Khanna
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
- Accessibility August 22, 2019 Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
- Headlines August 16, 2019 Virat Kohli sets new record
- Parasports August 15, 2019 India triumph at Physical Disability World Cricket Series, will BCCI finally take note?
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Ex-minister P Chidambaram arrested
- Parasports August 15, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Disability led Madhusudan to discover a talent for wheelchair tennis
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Kerala minister K K Shailaja steps in for deaf child affected in the floods
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Tips to lead a healthy lifestyle when you are an amputee
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News