Elections will not disrupt India's plan to host all IPL matches
January 10, 2019
The 2019 edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) will take place entirely in India in spite of the upcoming general elections that are expected to take place during April and May. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) confirmed the news on Tuesday. The VIVO sponsored IPL is expected to kick-start on 23 March this year. Detailed schedule of the games will be finalised soon, which will be mostly by the first week of February.
The committee of administrators appointed by the Supreme Court of India is looking into details of venues where the matches can be held ahead of the elections. Reportedly, even the franchises wanted the matches to be held in India. Officials are also looking into tightening the security measures for the upcoming IPL matches.
This news came as a huge relief to cricket fans in India who thought that the matches are either going to be postponed or changed to some other venues in other countries.
Franchises, sponsors and broadcast rights holders, and more importantly the fans, will be delighted to know that #IPL2019 will be in India in its entirety-Harsha Bhogle, Indian Cricket Commentator
IPL venues were changed twice before due to elections. In 2009, IPL was played in South Africa whereas in 2014, it was played in the UAE. But this time, fans can definitely cheer for their favourite teams from home.
Indian cricket player Ravindra Jadeja also confirmed the news by tweeting about it.
"IPL 2019 will be played in India, will start on 23rd March. Which team are you supporting? #IPL2019", tweeted Ravindra Jadeja.
The upcoming IPL 2019 will be the 12th edition of one of the world's most glamorous sport events. International players come together for the event that is filled with glitz and glamour.
Watch in Sign Language
- Indian cricket team gears up for World Cup 2019
March 18, 2019
- Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
March 18, 2019
- New Zealand attack - 3 men from Hyderabad among 50 killed
March 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 Election Commission's voter helpline 1950 proves to be a letdown for disabled community in Chennai
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
- Get-hooked March 13, 2019 Diversity in fashion gets a major push at this Big Bazaar event with disabled people walking the ramp
- Events March 13, 2019 Sign Language Movement
- Headlines March 18, 2019 New Zealand attack - 3 men from Hyderabad among 50 killed
- Get-hooked March 13, 2019 Don't let headphones damage your ears, says experts
- Events March 17, 2019 Accessible Text Creation Workshop
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Awareness about accessible election facilities still an issue in Arunachal Pradesh
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 Discriminatory medical admission guidelines regarding disabled aspirants crush this Ranchi doctor's dream
- Events March 14, 2019 Future Planning for persons with special needs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines March 17, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News