Elections will not disrupt India's plan to host all IPL matches
January 10, 2019
The 2019 edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) will take place entirely in India in spite of the upcoming general elections that are expected to take place during April and May. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) confirmed the news on Tuesday. The VIVO sponsored IPL is expected to kick-start on 23 March this year. Detailed schedule of the games will be finalised soon, which will be mostly by the first week of February.
The committee of administrators appointed by the Supreme Court of India is looking into details of venues where the matches can be held ahead of the elections. Reportedly, even the franchises wanted the matches to be held in India. Officials are also looking into tightening the security measures for the upcoming IPL matches.
This news came as a huge relief to cricket fans in India who thought that the matches are either going to be postponed or changed to some other venues in other countries.
Franchises, sponsors and broadcast rights holders, and more importantly the fans, will be delighted to know that #IPL2019 will be in India in its entirety-Harsha Bhogle, Indian Cricket Commentator
IPL venues were changed twice before due to elections. In 2009, IPL was played in South Africa whereas in 2014, it was played in the UAE. But this time, fans can definitely cheer for their favourite teams from home.
Indian cricket player Ravindra Jadeja also confirmed the news by tweeting about it.
"IPL 2019 will be played in India, will start on 23rd March. Which team are you supporting? #IPL2019", tweeted Ravindra Jadeja.
The upcoming IPL 2019 will be the 12th edition of one of the world's most glamorous sport events. International players come together for the event that is filled with glitz and glamour.
Watch in Sign Language
- Mamata's nephew sends defamation notice to PM
May 20, 2019
- Delhi Police reacts to Kejriwal’s comment on security
May 20, 2019
- Exit polls predict comfortable win for BJP
May 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 These friends banded together in the aftermath of the Kerala floods to help people with disabilities
- Get-hooked May 13, 2019 Find out how Anjan breathes life into his paintings & caricatures
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Stay cool this summer, some tips for wheelchair users
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - From anxiety to empowerment, the journey of Latha Venkatesan
- Events May 15, 2019 Interpreting & Using Children’s Drawings as Tools for Diagnosis
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Mamata's nephew sends defamation notice to PM
- Education May 17, 2019 'Kannada Pustaka' open online library is empowering thousands of visually impaired students
- Headlines May 14, 2019 Regret allowing son to fight elections, says Dharmendra
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Parenting Corner - Feeling Guilty
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News