Congress appoints transgender person as general secretary, women's wing
January 10, 2019
The Indian National Congress (INC) party have become torch bearers of inclusion by appointing a transgender woman Apsara Reddy as their General Secretary of its women's wing, the Mahila Congress. This way, INC becomes the first Indian party to appoint a transgender person in their leadership. This latest move from Congress was cheered by people from across the country. A photograph of Congress President Rahul Gandhi standing alongside Apsara Reddy and Mahila Congress Chief Sushmita Dev was tweeted by the official account of Congress party.
Welcoming Apsara Reddy to @MahilaCongress As @sushmitadevmp puts it the path for inclusivity comes through acceptance and compassion beyond the set societal norms.#Womenpositive-All India Mahila Congress
Reddy promised that she will work towards the welfare of women in India by adhering to the Congress manifestos.
"#Respect for #Congress in making #India more inclusive and not hanging on to societal norms that are patriarchal, regressive and outdated. #Congratulations #ApsaraReddy to be a part of the mainstream", tweeted Deepal.
Reddy, who had joined the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam in the year 2016, is a popular transgender activist as well. She has worked alongside the Bharatiya Janata Party as well. Reddy worked as a journalist before entering full-fledged into politics. History is going to be re-written with Reddy's entry into the national office.
ALSO READ: Two-day Bharat Bandh disrupts life in metros
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology May 15, 2019 Reserve Bank of India suggests app to help visually impaired people identify rupee notes
- Get-hooked May 15, 2019 Art that moves & inspires, given a new life by HeART Beat Foundation
- Education May 17, 2019 'Kannada Pustaka' open online library is empowering thousands of visually impaired students
- Events May 14, 2019 Udaya Training Program – Enabling the Differently abled
- Headlines May 17, 2019 Pakistani air space to remain shut for Indian flights till 30 May
- Accessibility May 17, 2019 Anuprayaas is making railway stations inclusive & accessible for visually impaired people
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - From anxiety to empowerment, the journey of Latha Venkatesan
- Headlines May 16, 2019 CRPF bans jawans from playing PUBG game
- Technology May 14, 2019 Google's Android Q to introduce Live Captions and Subtitles to all types of content
- Accessibility May 16, 2019 In a first, people with disabilities attend the famous Thrissur Pooram
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News