Congress appoints transgender person as general secretary, women's wing
January 10, 2019
The Indian National Congress (INC) party have become torch bearers of inclusion by appointing a transgender woman Apsara Reddy as their General Secretary of its women's wing, the Mahila Congress. This way, INC becomes the first Indian party to appoint a transgender person in their leadership. This latest move from Congress was cheered by people from across the country. A photograph of Congress President Rahul Gandhi standing alongside Apsara Reddy and Mahila Congress Chief Sushmita Dev was tweeted by the official account of Congress party.
Welcoming Apsara Reddy to @MahilaCongress As @sushmitadevmp puts it the path for inclusivity comes through acceptance and compassion beyond the set societal norms.#Womenpositive-All India Mahila Congress
Reddy promised that she will work towards the welfare of women in India by adhering to the Congress manifestos.
"#Respect for #Congress in making #India more inclusive and not hanging on to societal norms that are patriarchal, regressive and outdated. #Congratulations #ApsaraReddy to be a part of the mainstream", tweeted Deepal.
Reddy, who had joined the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam in the year 2016, is a popular transgender activist as well. She has worked alongside the Bharatiya Janata Party as well. Reddy worked as a journalist before entering full-fledged into politics. History is going to be re-written with Reddy's entry into the national office.
ALSO READ: Two-day Bharat Bandh disrupts life in metros
Watch in Sign Language
- Indian cricket team gears up for World Cup 2019
March 18, 2019
- Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
March 18, 2019
- New Zealand attack - 3 men from Hyderabad among 50 killed
March 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Nearly a month after Sambuddha Ghosh's death, family struggles for answers
- Get-hooked March 13, 2019 Don't let headphones damage your ears, says experts
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 First PM Modi, now Mamata Banerjee shocks & offends with comments about mental disability
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Female Special Police Officer in J&K shot dead by terrorists
- Events March 14, 2019 Future Planning for persons with special needs
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 Disabled boy's long fight for a village school pays off, Prime Minister Modi's office intervenes
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Gun laws to change in New Zealand after terror attack
- Headlines March 12, 2019 Actor Mohanlal, Prabhudeva receive Padma awards
- Events March 14, 2019 Beat It! Drums and Mridangam Show
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 Election Commission's voter helpline 1950 proves to be a letdown for disabled community in Chennai
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News