Ayodhya case hearing postponed
January 11, 2019
After Justice U U Lalit, one of the five judges of the Supreme Court constitution bench hearing the Ayodhya case said he wanted to opt out due to conflict of interest, the court has decided to hear the case on 29 January.
Justice Lalit made the offer after a lawyer said he had represented one of the parties nearly 20 years ago. Now a new bench will be constituted before the next hearing.
The lawyer who pointed this out was Rajeev Dhawan who said Justice Lalit had appeared for politician Kalyan Singh in a matter in 1997.
The Ayodhya case is pending before the court since 2010 when 14 cross-appeals were filed against the Allahabad High Court's judgement dividing the land equally among the three parties - the Sunni Waqf Board, Nirmohi Akhara, a Hindu religious group and the Hindu Mahasabha.
Many groups linked to the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party have been demanding for a law or executive order to facilitate the building of a Ram temple at the disputed site. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said his government would wait for the courts to rule on the case.
Let the judicial process be over. After the judicial process is over, whatever will be our responsibility as the government, we are ready to make all efforts... We have said in our BJP manifesto that a solution would be found to this issue under the ambit of the Constitution. - Prime Minister Narendra Modi
All parties in the case have welcomed the setting up of the new and larger bench. An early hearing is good news for the BJP, politically. The party has made Ayodhya a showcase when it comes to development and tourism. There is a plan to build the world's largest Ram statue here, moves that the party hopes will attract votes in the elections.
Watch in Sign Language
- BJP releases first list of candidates for elections
March 22, 2019
- Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
March 22, 2019
- Trailer of biopic PM Narendra Modi gets over one million views
March 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
- Accessibility March 19, 2019 Rising Star Tours & Travels is helping visually impaired people experience the magic of new places
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Rahul Gandhi PM Modi over chowkidaar campaign
- Headlines March 15, 2019 U.S warns China for blocking action on terrorist Masood Azhar
- Get-hooked March 22, 2019 National award winner, dancer & sportsman, all-rounder Akshay inspires youngsters
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Understanding Inborn Errors of Metabolism
- Headlines March 18, 2019 New Zealand attack - 3 men from Hyderabad among 50 killed
- Accessibility March 21, 2019 A tactile toolkit that explains what periods are all about to girls with vision & hearing disabilities
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Kerala youngster Vijesh Vijayan wins battle for justice in Kerala High Court
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Rewire your brain – Guest Column by Dr Elavatsala Sharma
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines March 17, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News