Changing lives of disabled people for the better, the Swabhiman way
January 18, 2019
Started in 2001, Swabhiman, an NGO in Bhubaneshwar, Odisha, has emerged as a leading voice speaking up for the empowerment of people with disabilities.
The founder Dr Sruti Mohapatra has a clear mission - to break down the barriers that exist for people with disabilities and create a world without discrimination. 'To enjoy, give joy to others' is the belief that inspires all the initiatives.
Swabhiman is a State Disability Information and Resource Centre that provides various services and much needed support and guidance to the disabled community.
Various programs are run by Swabhiman and these cover a range areas including laws and policies, education, health, sports, employment and accessibility, general awareness, to name a few.
Mihir Mohanty has been associated with Swabhiman for years. "I am happy to be a part of this positive movement through Swabhiman. The work we do is so fulfilling and raises our hopes about creating a truly inclusive society in the near future around us " says Mohanty, who is the Program Director.
Given the huge numbers of disabled people and the lack of facilities for them, Swabhiman is taking a multifaceted approach to bridge the gaps. It has a special focus on children and young adults so that future generations have a better chance at inclusion.
With this aim, Swabhiman has undertaken several projects with a holistic vision.
- Anjali - Promotes inclusion through music and arts.
- Adhyayan -Multi-faceted approach towards education.
- YLTEP - Youth leadership Training and Empowerment Program.
- Sandhan - Create responsible citizens.
- Saksham - Dedicated to the welfare of children with disabilities in Bhubaneswar slums.
- Sashakt - Awareness about rights and laws.
"I joined Swabhiman seven years ago as a volunteer," says Jyoti Prasanna Patnaik, who is a Senior Program Manager. "The time I have spent here has changed my perception about people with disabilities. I have learned a lot about skills, and most importantly the role of accessibility in the lives of disabled people.
It is this sense of awareness and empathy that Swabhiman is working to bring in the public at large.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 26, 2019 Talk Tools Workshop
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Zakker Hussain’s relentless commitment to social work is admired by many people
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Pakistan gets warning to curb terrorism by October
- Events June 20, 2019 Special buddies program (Intermediate group)
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Injury scares hit Indian cricket team
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Social media thread highlights barriers faced by disabled candidates at exam halls across India
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
- Education June 21, 2019 American College in Madurai introduces disability studies in syllabus
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News