Changing lives of disabled people for the better, the Swabhiman way
January 18, 2019
Started in 2001, Swabhiman, an NGO in Bhubaneshwar, Odisha, has emerged as a leading voice speaking up for the empowerment of people with disabilities.
The founder Dr Sruti Mohapatra has a clear mission - to break down the barriers that exist for people with disabilities and create a world without discrimination. 'To enjoy, give joy to others' is the belief that inspires all the initiatives.
Swabhiman is a State Disability Information and Resource Centre that provides various services and much needed support and guidance to the disabled community.
Various programs are run by Swabhiman and these cover a range areas including laws and policies, education, health, sports, employment and accessibility, general awareness, to name a few.
Mihir Mohanty has been associated with Swabhiman for years. "I am happy to be a part of this positive movement through Swabhiman. The work we do is so fulfilling and raises our hopes about creating a truly inclusive society in the near future around us " says Mohanty, who is the Program Director.
Given the huge numbers of disabled people and the lack of facilities for them, Swabhiman is taking a multifaceted approach to bridge the gaps. It has a special focus on children and young adults so that future generations have a better chance at inclusion.
With this aim, Swabhiman has undertaken several projects with a holistic vision.
- Anjali - Promotes inclusion through music and arts.
- Adhyayan -Multi-faceted approach towards education.
- YLTEP - Youth leadership Training and Empowerment Program.
- Sandhan - Create responsible citizens.
- Saksham - Dedicated to the welfare of children with disabilities in Bhubaneswar slums.
- Sashakt - Awareness about rights and laws.
"I joined Swabhiman seven years ago as a volunteer," says Jyoti Prasanna Patnaik, who is a Senior Program Manager. "The time I have spent here has changed my perception about people with disabilities. I have learned a lot about skills, and most importantly the role of accessibility in the lives of disabled people.
It is this sense of awareness and empathy that Swabhiman is working to bring in the public at large.
Watch in Sign Language
- Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
April 20, 2019
- Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
April 20, 2019
- #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
April 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News