Changing lives of disabled people for the better, the Swabhiman way
Started in 2001, Swabhiman, an NGO in Bhubaneshwar, Odisha, has emerged as a leading voice speaking up for the empowerment of people with disabilities.
The founder Dr Sruti Mohapatra has a clear mission - to break down the barriers that exist for people with disabilities and create a world without discrimination. ‘To enjoy, give joy to others' is the belief that inspires all the initiatives.
Swabhiman is a State Disability Information and Resource Centre that provides various services and much needed support and guidance to the disabled community.
Various programs are run by Swabhiman and these cover a range areas including laws and policies, education, health, sports, employment and accessibility, general awareness, to name a few.
Mihir Mohanty has been associated with Swabhiman for years. “I am happy to be a part of this positive movement through Swabhiman. The work we do is so fulfilling and raises our hopes about creating a truly inclusive society in the near future around us “ says Mohanty, who is the Program Director.
Given the huge numbers of disabled people and the lack of facilities for them, Swabhiman is taking a multifaceted approach to bridge the gaps. It has a special focus on children and young adults so that future generations have a better chance at inclusion.
With this aim, Swabhiman has undertaken several projects with a holistic vision.
- Anjali - Promotes inclusion through music and arts.
- Adhyayan -Multi-faceted approach towards education.
- YLTEP - Youth leadership Training and Empowerment Program.
- Sandhan - Create responsible citizens.
- Saksham - Dedicated to the welfare of children with disabilities in Bhubaneswar slums.
- Sashakt - Awareness about rights and laws.
"I joined Swabhiman seven years ago as a volunteer," says Jyoti Prasanna Patnaik, who is a Senior Program Manager. "The time I have spent here has changed my perception about people with disabilities. I have learned a lot about skills, and most importantly the role of accessibility in the lives of disabled people.
It is this sense of awareness and empathy that Swabhiman is working to bring in the public at large.
Watch in Sign Language
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Pakistani actors and artists banned by Indian film industry
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 17, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019