Supreme Court asks for continuance of Meghalaya miner’s rescue work
January 12, 2019
The fate of the miners stuck inside the coal mines in East Jaintia Hills of Meghalaya is still unknown. 15 miners have been trapped in the illegally operated mines since 13 December 2018 and all efforts for their rescue have failed so far.
Most of the people involved in the rescue work have left hopes of the survival of the miners but the Supreme Court has asked the government to continue the efforts.
On Friday the top court asked the Centre government and government of Meghalaya to take the help of experts in the matter. "Carry on with your rescue efforts, what if all or at least some are still alive? Miracles do happen," Justice AK Sikri of the Supreme Court said while hearing a PIL in the matter.
The rescue work is being carried out with the involvement of Navy, NDRF, Odisha Fire Service, State Disaster Response Fund, Fire service and others. It has been almost a month and there is no information about what condition the miners are in?
The miners were digging up coal illegally as mining has been banned in the state since 2014. Rescue work primarily is based on the draining of water from the mines but no change in water level is still high making it difficult for divers to reach the stuck miners through the small hole.
The authorities have been criticized for the inefficiency and slow speed of the rescue operations.
sochoâ€ @soco_wat wrote, "Replying to @scroll_in why so late to start the search operation the entire process to start late was callous activity everyone involved shud be held responsible and punished for their negligence."
Shout Paulie ðŸ"¢â€ @Deepjit3 tweeted, "Replying to @MirrorNow @fayedsouza There is a dire situation in our state Meghalaya where 15 miners are trapped since 13th December 2018. Since now we are not able to understand the delay in rescuing these miners #MeghalayaMineTragedy"
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 An instinctive, nurturing approach enables this music teacher to unearth talents in disabled students
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 Parenting corner - Autism and Aggression
- Get-hooked July 18, 2019 #RareDiseases - Poor awareness & support among the challenges people with Sturge-Weber syndrome face in India
- Get-hooked July 19, 2019 Australia refuses entry to Kerala Catholic priest for comparing kids with autism to animals
- Events July 16, 2019 Swaras and More @ Mitr Cafe
- Education July 17, 2019 Kerala High Court upholds guidelines for therapy centres in the state
- Headlines July 18, 2019 Hrithik Roshan’s Super 30 made tax-free in Bihar
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 #RareDiseases - Indian Rett Syndrome Foundation is raising awareness about this genetic brain disorder
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 #RareDiseases - Organisation for Rare Diseases in India is out to change perceptions
- Headlines July 14, 2019 Middle order batsman failed, causing India's collapse, says coach
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News