Tributes pour in for deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth after historic win
January 13, 2019
Dhanush Srikanth is clearly the star in the ongoing Khelo India Youth Games 2019 in Pune, Maharashtra. Srikanth has become a sensation after winning the gold medal in rifle shooting.
16-year-old Srikanth, who is deaf, won a gold in under-21 air rifle shooting event. His performance in the final round awed everyone as he shot like a pro.
Srikanth has been trained by Neha Chavan of the 'Gun for Glory' shooting academy. He is from Telangana and is also a second degree Dan in taekwondo..The young player has won the hearts of sports lovers and have received praise from all corners.
Champion shooter was among those who praised him on social media.
Whats special about him is that he cannot hear or speak. Shooting sign language had to be specially developed with the coach to make him understand technicalities of shooting. He uses a Cochlear implant to give him a sense of sound. Amazing", said Narang.
Another awesome performance came from Avinash Yadav in the under-17 air rifle event. Avinash is from Madhya Pradesh and he beat the final score of Divyansh Singh of Rajasthan by 0.2 point.
Avinash's achievement is a major surprise as Divyansh Singh is all set to make it to the national team for the World Cup in New Delhi next month.
Divyansh had a lead throughout the event but in the finals, he could only reach to a score of 9.7 and was overshot by Avinash who scored a 10.4.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Medical Council of India changes postgraduate admission rules only for students with locomotor disabilities
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Female Special Police Officer in J&K shot dead by terrorists
- Headlines March 21, 2019 Mayawati will not contest 2019 general elections
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Kerala youngster Vijesh Vijayan wins battle for justice in Kerala High Court
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 #WonderWoman - Ketna Mehta is giving people with disabilities wings to fly
- Employment March 18, 2019 Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Kochi Muziris Biennale introduces Braille texts, becomes torch-bearers for inclusive art festivals
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Parikkar given state funeral with military honours
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News