Tributes pour in for deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth after historic win
January 13, 2019
Dhanush Srikanth is clearly the star in the ongoing Khelo India Youth Games 2019 in Pune, Maharashtra. Srikanth has become a sensation after winning the gold medal in rifle shooting.
16-year-old Srikanth, who is deaf, won a gold in under-21 air rifle shooting event. His performance in the final round awed everyone as he shot like a pro.
Srikanth has been trained by Neha Chavan of the 'Gun for Glory' shooting academy. He is from Telangana and is also a second degree Dan in taekwondo..The young player has won the hearts of sports lovers and have received praise from all corners.
Champion shooter was among those who praised him on social media.
Whats special about him is that he cannot hear or speak. Shooting sign language had to be specially developed with the coach to make him understand technicalities of shooting. He uses a Cochlear implant to give him a sense of sound. Amazing", said Narang.
Another awesome performance came from Avinash Yadav in the under-17 air rifle event. Avinash is from Madhya Pradesh and he beat the final score of Divyansh Singh of Rajasthan by 0.2 point.
Avinash's achievement is a major surprise as Divyansh Singh is all set to make it to the national team for the World Cup in New Delhi next month.
Divyansh had a lead throughout the event but in the finals, he could only reach to a score of 9.7 and was overshot by Avinash who scored a 10.4.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 24, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 17 – Aug 23
- Get-Hooked August 25, 2019 Understanding Teaching Nonverbal Children
- Events August 22, 2019 Creative Pattern Workshop For Individuals with Special Needs
- Headlines August 24, 2019 PM Modi talks about 'New India' at France
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Kerala nun seeks justice from the Vatican
- Events August 21, 2019 Vadhu Var Melawa
- Get-Hooked August 25, 2019 South Korea’s Duckhee is 1st deaf tennis player to win men's professional tournament
- Technology August 25, 2019 18-year-old with autism wins fans across the world with his app Aumi
- Technology August 21, 2019 #InclusionChamps: Bleetech’s human-centric approach wins them Universal Design Award 2019
- Technology August 23, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Low cost foot orthosis wins Aneesh Karma wins Universal Design Award 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News