Banker-politician Meera Sanyal laid to rest
January 13, 2019
Noted economist and social activist, Meera Sanyal passed away at the age of 57 years on Friday in Mumbai. She had been diagnosed with cancer two years ago and had been taking treatment,her last rites were performed yesterday.
Meera Sanyal had a successful career in banking that had spanned over 30 years which she left to join politics. She was motivated to bring change through social work.
She gave up her post as the CEO and chairperson of the Royal Bank of Scotland and joined the Aam Aadmi Party as she felt politicians were not doing enough for the people.
AAP party members shared their sorrow on social media.
Party Chief Arvind Kejriwal also tweeted, "Extremely sad to hear this. No words to express..."
Meera Sanyal had contested the Lok Sabha elections in 2014 from South Mumbai but lost. She also served as a member of AAP's National Committee on Economic Policy.
She continued to work as an activist and was a social worker with the aim to bring transparency and honesty to politics. Her personality and intelligence never failed to make an impact on people and Meera Sanyal was much respected by those who worked with her.
Several politicians and celebrities also took to social media.
Gul Panag was one of the celebrity who shared her feelings on social media.
Gul Panag âœ"@GulPanag wrote, "Shattered to hear about @meerasanyal's demise. A woman who personified grace, carried her success lightly and always had a patient ear for anyone who reached out to her. An exemplary leader who inspired all who came across her. May God give her family strength to bear this."
Anupam Kher@AnupamPKhertweeted," Shocked and saddened by the sudden demise of #MeeraSanyal. Had met her a few times. She was a very graceful and learned lady. May her soul rest in peace.ðŸ™"
Watch in Sign Language
- High alert along Line of Control over terror threat
August 26, 2019
- Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
August 26, 2019
- Arun Jaitley cremated with full state honours
August 26, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology August 22, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Prashant Gade wins Universal Design Award 2019 for Inali Arm
- Accessibility August 23, 2019 Disabled people push for need of accessible & disabled-friendly Indian Railways
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Kerala nun seeks justice from the Vatican
- Accessibility August 23, 2019 Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
- Employment August 26, 2019 Sample these wholesome & delicious cookies baked by people with Down syndrome at Satya Bakery
- Get-Hooked August 24, 2019 Parenting Corner-Autism Myths
- Education August 21, 2019 Happy Hands School is enabling deaf children in rural Odisha to learn in sign language
- Headlines August 24, 2019 PM Modi talks about 'New India' at France
- Headlines August 24, 2019 United Nation supports Priyanka Chopra
- Events August 21, 2019 Workshop on Nayi Disha Resource Library
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News