Banker-politician Meera Sanyal laid to rest
January 13, 2019
Noted economist and social activist, Meera Sanyal passed away at the age of 57 years on Friday in Mumbai. She had been diagnosed with cancer two years ago and had been taking treatment,her last rites were performed yesterday.
Meera Sanyal had a successful career in banking that had spanned over 30 years which she left to join politics. She was motivated to bring change through social work.
She gave up her post as the CEO and chairperson of the Royal Bank of Scotland and joined the Aam Aadmi Party as she felt politicians were not doing enough for the people.
AAP party members shared their sorrow on social media.
Party Chief Arvind Kejriwal also tweeted, "Extremely sad to hear this. No words to express..."
Meera Sanyal had contested the Lok Sabha elections in 2014 from South Mumbai but lost. She also served as a member of AAP's National Committee on Economic Policy.
She continued to work as an activist and was a social worker with the aim to bring transparency and honesty to politics. Her personality and intelligence never failed to make an impact on people and Meera Sanyal was much respected by those who worked with her.
Several politicians and celebrities also took to social media.
Gul Panag was one of the celebrity who shared her feelings on social media.
Gul Panag âś"@GulPanag wrote, "Shattered to hear about @meerasanyal's demise. A woman who personified grace, carried her success lightly and always had a patient ear for anyone who reached out to her. An exemplary leader who inspired all who came across her. May God give her family strength to bear this."
Anupam Kher@AnupamPKhertweeted," Shocked and saddened by the sudden demise of #MeeraSanyal. Had met her a few times. She was a very graceful and learned lady. May her soul rest in peace.đź™Ź"
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports May 20, 2019 Passion for sports keeps Amresh's spirits up through the worst of times
- Technology May 23, 2019 #TechThursdays - Augmenta11y, an app developed by students, helps children with dyslexia read better
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Athlete Dutee Chand faces family expulsion for saying she is gay
- Get-hooked May 17, 2019 Accessibility among 5 areas under focus in 11th edition of NASSCOM Social Innovation Forum
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Experts claim music therapy helps enhance critical skills in children with autism
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Employment May 16, 2019 Umbrella By Differently Abled empowers people with spinal cord injuries
- Accessibility May 17, 2019 Anuprayaas is making railway stations inclusive & accessible for visually impaired people
- Get-hooked May 17, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Accessibility May 16, 2019 Game changing innovations that enable inclusion - Global Accessibility Awareness Day special
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News