Banker-politician Meera Sanyal laid to rest
January 13, 2019
Noted economist and social activist, Meera Sanyal passed away at the age of 57 years on Friday in Mumbai. She had been diagnosed with cancer two years ago and had been taking treatment,her last rites were performed yesterday.
Meera Sanyal had a successful career in banking that had spanned over 30 years which she left to join politics. She was motivated to bring change through social work.
She gave up her post as the CEO and chairperson of the Royal Bank of Scotland and joined the Aam Aadmi Party as she felt politicians were not doing enough for the people.
AAP party members shared their sorrow on social media.
Party Chief Arvind Kejriwal also tweeted, "Extremely sad to hear this. No words to express..."
Meera Sanyal had contested the Lok Sabha elections in 2014 from South Mumbai but lost. She also served as a member of AAP's National Committee on Economic Policy.
She continued to work as an activist and was a social worker with the aim to bring transparency and honesty to politics. Her personality and intelligence never failed to make an impact on people and Meera Sanyal was much respected by those who worked with her.
Several politicians and celebrities also took to social media.
Gul Panag was one of the celebrity who shared her feelings on social media.
Gul Panag âś"@GulPanag wrote, "Shattered to hear about @meerasanyal's demise. A woman who personified grace, carried her success lightly and always had a patient ear for anyone who reached out to her. An exemplary leader who inspired all who came across her. May God give her family strength to bear this."
Anupam Kher@AnupamPKhertweeted," Shocked and saddened by the sudden demise of #MeeraSanyal. Had met her a few times. She was a very graceful and learned lady. May her soul rest in peace.đź™Ź"
Watch in Sign Language
- BJP releases first list of candidates for elections
March 22, 2019
- Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
March 22, 2019
- Trailer of biopic PM Narendra Modi gets over one million views
March 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Narendra Modi launches ‘Main Bhi Chowkidar’ campaign
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 How a Facebook page helped rally a support group for wheelchair users in Kerala
- Events March 20, 2019 4th National Blind Football Tournament
- Headlines March 16, 2019 Bangladesh cricketers escaped terror attack closely
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Kochi Muziris Biennale introduces Braille texts, becomes torch-bearers for inclusive art festivals
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 First PM Modi, now Mamata Banerjee shocks & offends with comments about mental disability
- Events March 17, 2019 Accessible Text Creation Workshop
- Events March 20, 2019 Awareness Session on Prevention of Sexual Harassment at Workplace
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Awareness about accessible election facilities still an issue in Arunachal Pradesh
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines March 16, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News