Cricketers Vijay Shankar, Shubman Gill replace Pandya, Rahul
January 14, 2019
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has asked all-rounder Vijay Shankar and batsman Shubman Gill to replace disgraced cricketers K L Rahul and Hardik Pandya for Team India's Australia and New Zealand tours.
The two cricketers have been sent back home after the controversy over their comments about women on TV chat show Koffee with Karan. They were dropped ahead of the first one day match against Australia on Saturday that India lost by 34 runs.
In a press release, the BCCI said,
Vijay Shankar will join the team before the start of the 2nd ODI in Adelaide. He will be a part of the squad for the ODI series in Australia and the tour to New Zealand. Shubman Gill has been picked for the ODI and Twenty20 series in New Zealand. - Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)
Gill is yet to make his international debut while Shankar has only five T20I matches to his name. Gill was Player of the Tournament for India during the ICC Under 19 Cricket World Cup 2018. His form in the Ranji Trophy has been excellent.
Pandya had boasted about his track record with women and made other sexual comments just as India were celebrating their first Test series win in Australia. Rahul was also on the programme and said nothing and this led to outrage on social media and criticism from captain Virat Kohli who said their comments did not reflect the culture within the squad.
Both players apologized and were suspended from playing any cricket pending an enquiry.
The next game in the three-match series in Adelaide on Tuesday.
Watch in Sign Language
- Reports of rift within Indian cricket team to be probed
July 16, 2019
- Karnataka government trust vote on Thursday
July 16, 2019
- Over 50 people dead, 30 missing in Nepal floods
July 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility July 11, 2019 Tamil Nadu government fails to introduce special courts, groups demands speedy action
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Some tips to help a child with Down syndrome sleep better
- Headlines July 9, 2019 India vs New Zealand semifinal match today
- Parasports July 9, 2019 Ahead of crucial World Cup match, India's disabled cricketers have tips for Team India
- Accessibility July 10, 2019 Goa gets it's 1st restaurant with hydraulic lift for wheelchair users
- Headlines July 11, 2019 India lose semi-final to New Zealand
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 #RareDiseases - Organisation for Rare Diseases in India is out to change perceptions
- Headlines July 15, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
- Headlines July 12, 2019 Virat shares message with fans after loss
- Headlines July 10, 2019 Dhoni is 2nd Indian cricketer to play 350 ODIs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News