Cricketers Vijay Shankar, Shubman Gill replace Pandya, Rahul
January 14, 2019
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has asked all-rounder Vijay Shankar and batsman Shubman Gill to replace disgraced cricketers K L Rahul and Hardik Pandya for Team India's Australia and New Zealand tours.
The two cricketers have been sent back home after the controversy over their comments about women on TV chat show Koffee with Karan. They were dropped ahead of the first one day match against Australia on Saturday that India lost by 34 runs.
In a press release, the BCCI said,
Vijay Shankar will join the team before the start of the 2nd ODI in Adelaide. He will be a part of the squad for the ODI series in Australia and the tour to New Zealand. Shubman Gill has been picked for the ODI and Twenty20 series in New Zealand. - Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)
Gill is yet to make his international debut while Shankar has only five T20I matches to his name. Gill was Player of the Tournament for India during the ICC Under 19 Cricket World Cup 2018. His form in the Ranji Trophy has been excellent.
Pandya had boasted about his track record with women and made other sexual comments just as India were celebrating their first Test series win in Australia. Rahul was also on the programme and said nothing and this led to outrage on social media and criticism from captain Virat Kohli who said their comments did not reflect the culture within the squad.
Both players apologized and were suspended from playing any cricket pending an enquiry.
The next game in the three-match series in Adelaide on Tuesday.
Watch in Sign Language
- Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
June 17, 2019
- Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
June 17, 2019
- More deaths due to encephalitis in Bihar
June 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
- Accessibility June 11, 2019 A warrior in the cause of digital accessibility - My Take by Sai Bhagat
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Gujarat on high alert for cyclone
- Events June 11, 2019 From the ‘Whys’ to the ‘Hows’
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 Tyre maker Goodyear partners with NAB to conduct road safety training in Delhi for blind people
- Events June 12, 2019 Messengers on Cycles 2019: Cyclothon event
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News