First ever wheelchair marathon held in Goa
January 14, 2019
Popular tourist state Goa created history this weekend with the first ever wheelchair marathon in it's history. The marathon was held at the Taleigao Plateau and was a joint effort of iRun and the Disability Rights Association of Goa- DRAG.
There were eight wheelchair participants with the first prize going to Santosh Ranjagane, who came all the way from Kolhapur in Maharashtra. The marathon was flagged off by Vishwas Nagvekar who also came in third place. Nagvekar said the moment was nothing short of historical.
"This is a historical movement for Goa for holding the first ever inclusive marathon wherein wheelchair people can participate and also compete in the event. This will help in creating awareness about the inclusion of persons with disability and to showcase their talents."
The marathon was not only a fun activity but also a means of promoting inclusion as it brought together various stakeholders on a common platfofm. The participants enjoyed spending the day in the company of each other while showing off their sporting spirits.
Avelino Dsa, President, DRAG says that more such events will be held in Goa.
It was a great experience participating in the 2-km wheelchair run to raise awareness on disability issues which was happening for the first time in Goa. We hope more organisers will come forward to organise such runs in Goa. - Avelino Dsa, President of Disability Rights Association of Goa,
The marathon was also supported by Ezy Mov-, the first wheelchair taxi company in India. Bennet Dcunha, Director, Ezy Mov said the company was happy to promote such inclusive events.
"Ezy Mov is working extensively with DRAG Goa & its President Avelino Dsa to ensure accessible transport is available in Goa for all important events organised under the DRAG banner. The Wheelchair Marathon was the first one of its kind and we are happy to support the initiative with our vehicles."
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News