First ever wheelchair marathon held in Goa
Popular tourist state Goa created history this weekend with the first ever wheelchair marathon in it's history. The marathon was held at the Taleigao Plateau and was a joint effort of iRun and the Disability Rights Association of Goa- DRAG.
There were eight wheelchair participants with the first prize going to Santosh Ranjagane, who came all the way from Kolhapur in Maharashtra. The marathon was flagged off by Vishwas Nagvekar who also came in third place. Nagvekar said the moment was nothing short of historical.
“This is a historical movement for Goa for holding the first ever inclusive marathon wherein wheelchair people can participate and also compete in the event. This will help in creating awareness about the inclusion of persons with disability and to showcase their talents."
The marathon was not only a fun activity but also a means of promoting inclusion as it brought together various stakeholders on a common platfofm. The participants enjoyed spending the day in the company of each other while showing off their sporting spirits.
Avelino Dsa, President, DRAG says that more such events will be held in Goa.
It was a great experience participating in the 2-km wheelchair run to raise awareness on disability issues which was happening for the first time in Goa. We hope more organisers will come forward to organise such runs in Goa. - Avelino Dsa, President of Disability Rights Association of Goa,
The marathon was also supported by Ezy Mov-, the first wheelchair taxi company in India. Bennet Dcunha, Director, Ezy Mov said the company was happy to promote such inclusive events.
“Ezy Mov is working extensively with DRAG Goa & its President Avelino Dsa to ensure accessible transport is available in Goa for all important events organised under the DRAG banner. The Wheelchair Marathon was the first one of its kind and we are happy to support the initiative with our vehicles.”
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Kashmir Valley shuts down after terror attack
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Jaish-e-Mohammed's key aide killed in Kashmir
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Infosys Foundation announces Rs 10 lakh to families of martyrs of Pulwama attack
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News