Jadavpur University Professor sacked for sexist remarks
January 17, 2019
International Relations Professor Kanak Sarkar of the Jadavpur University in West Bengal has been in the news lately for making controversial remarks about women including his students.
He has been taken off his teaching duties by the University management.
In a Facebook post that has been deleted now, Kanak Sarkar had made derogatory comments about virginity of women. "A girl is born sealed until it's opened...to most boys...a virgin wife is like an angel, Will you buy cold drink with broken seal?" these were some of the comments that he had shared on the social networking site.
The professor is not taking back his words or showing any remorse and claims that the Facebook post was him having "Sunday fun". He also claims that being targeted for his views is against his freedom of speech.
The professor was asked to stop teaching after students of the university protested and demanded his removal from the institute.
One female student of the university also claims that Sarkar told her that her figure is "model-like", which "men would enjoy" while she was giving a presentation in the class.
The National Commission for Women (NCW) has also sent a letter to the Director General of police - DGP of West Bengal demanding investigation into the matter.
The comments of Professor Kanak Sarkar went viral on social media and drew flak from all corners.
Debangsu Sarkar @DebangsuSarkar tweeted, "Replying to @ShreyaTeresita Just wow. He disrespected my surname (whatever), and my decision to maybe join Jadavpur. Is he living in mediaeval ages?"
Anish Banerjee @AnishB96 wrote, "He deserves some stringent actions... On enquiry it is known that he has been doing this since a long time..."
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
- Events June 20, 2019 Special buddies program (Intermediate group)
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 At this Chennai grocery shop, people with autism show their skills at customer service
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News