Navy divers find second body in Meghalaya mine
January 18, 2019
More than a month after they started operations, Indian Navy divers have detected the body of one person in a deep coal mine in Meghalaya.
Over a month back operations to search and rescue 15 miners trapped in a deep coal mine started. The second body has not been identified as yet. It was found at a depth of nearly 160 feet inside the 370-foot-deep mine in East Jaintia Hills.
The government tweeted confirming the rescue:
#MeghalayaMineTragedy#Flash One body detected by Indian Navy Divers using Underwater ROV at a depth of approx 60 feet and 210 feet inside a rat-hole mine - Defence Ministry Spokesperson
Around 200 rescue personnel of the Indian Navy, Coal India, the National Disaster Response Force, Odisha Fire Service and private pump maker Kirloskar are involved in the search operations.
Private research institutes are also involved.
The big struggle for rescue workers is to pump out the water from the depths of the mine. This has further reduced their chances of survival more than a month into they went missing.
The 15 men went down the narrow pit on 13 December and were trapped after water from a nearby river and from a mine next door flooded it.
The Supreme Court has said that the search must continue as "miracles do happen". It also asked the Centre and the government of Meghalaya to consult experts and rescue the miners.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 What Good Are We? - Guest column by Arun Dua
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 'Mental hai kya': Sensational & STIGMA MULTIPLIES? - My take by Dr Harish Shetty
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News