Navy divers find second body in Meghalaya mine
January 18, 2019
More than a month after they started operations, Indian Navy divers have detected the body of one person in a deep coal mine in Meghalaya.
Over a month back operations to search and rescue 15 miners trapped in a deep coal mine started. The second body has not been identified as yet. It was found at a depth of nearly 160 feet inside the 370-foot-deep mine in East Jaintia Hills.
The government tweeted confirming the rescue:
#MeghalayaMineTragedy#Flash One body detected by Indian Navy Divers using Underwater ROV at a depth of approx 60 feet and 210 feet inside a rat-hole mine - Defence Ministry Spokesperson
Around 200 rescue personnel of the Indian Navy, Coal India, the National Disaster Response Force, Odisha Fire Service and private pump maker Kirloskar are involved in the search operations.
Private research institutes are also involved.
The big struggle for rescue workers is to pump out the water from the depths of the mine. This has further reduced their chances of survival more than a month into they went missing.
The 15 men went down the narrow pit on 13 December and were trapped after water from a nearby river and from a mine next door flooded it.
The Supreme Court has said that the search must continue as "miracles do happen". It also asked the Centre and the government of Meghalaya to consult experts and rescue the miners.
Watch in Sign Language
- Felt suicidal after India loss, says Pakistan cricket coach
June 26, 2019
- 11 arrested in Jharkhand lynching case
June 26, 2019
- Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
June 26, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 26, 2019 Nationwide contest seeks to unearth and showcase talented blind cooks
- Accessibility June 22, 2019 With no hearing test facility at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital, disabled students miss NEET counselling
- Technology June 20, 2019 #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
- Education June 24, 2019 Inclusive Education - Challenges and Barriers - Guest column by Rukmini Krishnaswamy
- Parasports June 26, 2019 Ireland win puts para shuttler Pramod Bhagat among contenders for Tokyo Paralympics
- Events June 26, 2019 Coaching Classes for Visually Impaired Students
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Dhoni must keep playing, says ex Aussie cricketer
- Headlines June 25, 2019 RBI Deputy Governor resigns
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Chennai hit by worst water crisis
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Aussie player Steve Smith praises Virat
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines June 22, 2019
Headlines June 23, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News