Supreme Court allows dance bars in Maharashtra to reopen
The Supreme Court (SC) has ordered for the reopening of dance bars in Mumbai and other parts of Maharashtra. The top court relaxed the stringent conditions that were imposed by the Maharashtra government for getting licenses to run dance bars across the state.
What is not allowed is the showering of money by customers. The SC has said that performers can be tipped. The court said that it is unreasonable to ban dance bars one km away from religious places.
This has come as a huge setback for the state government that banned and imposed strict laws on dance bars. However, the decision found support from many.
Welcome #SupremeCourt judgment of allowing #DanceBars in #Mumbai. Everyone has right to earn respectable income. Govt should control excess- Amar Jha
The SC has put forward some guidelines before dance bars are opened. One, there should be an written contract between owners and performers and no requirement for a monthly salary for the performers. The court also stated that CCTV cameras need not be installed inside the dance bars because it clearly violates the privacy of the customers.
The Maharashtra government stopped giving licenses to dance bars since the year 2005. This new move was welcomed across the state.
“#SupremeCourt upholds condition like there has to be a contract between bar dancers and their employers but sets aside provision ensuring for monthly salary. It also approves timing of 6 pm to 11.30 for #DanceBars in #Mumbai”, tweeted Ashish Tripathi.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Peranbu, a movie review - Guest column by A L Karpahaganesh
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Technology February 11, 2019 Move to promote inclusion or mere gimmick? Disability-themed emojis for 2019 get mixed reviews
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Get-hooked February 9, 2019 Some recreational activities for visually impaired people
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Understanding Misophonia
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Munambam Beach in Kerala all set to become disabled-friendly
- Headlines February 9, 2019 Hailstorm in Noida-Delhi has social media excited
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019