Goa Carnival 2019 promises to be wheelchair accessible
January 18, 2019
The famous annual Carnival of Goa is round the corner and this year it promises to be super special.
For the first time, the carnival beginning on 2 March, will be an accessible festival with inclusive fun for everyone.
The carnival is a four-day- long festival that starts from the state capital Panaji and then moves on to other cities.
"We are happy that the carnival in Panaji will be accessible this year for wheelchair users and those with orthopedic disabilities. We hope that eventually other cities will also have accessible carnival arrangements" said Avelino Dsa, President, Disability Rights Association of Goa. The DRAG is one of the organizers.
This inclusion has been made possible by a joint partnership of Enable Travel, accessible holiday specialist, Ezymov, India's first wheelchair taxi provider and DRAG.
People with disabilities will be participating in the carnival parade and promote the breaking of barriers. The partnership is hoping to create history this year by making the Goa Carnival an accessible celebration that is not only for people from Goa but for disabled people from across the world.
Shama Noorani Choudhary, of Enable Travels said she is thrilled that disabled people will be able to enjoy the Carnival.
"When an accessible travel company and accessible transport joins hands with Disability Rights Association of Goa and the organisers of the Goa Carnival, it throws open the doors to the disabled adventurers of the world, to participate and have fun."
The arrangements will include a special viewing gallery set up for wheelchair users from where they can see and enjoy the festivities. The parade participants will dress up in festive costumes and hold placards with messages about inclusion.
This carnival we are hoping to get maximum wheelchair users and mobility restricted from all over India to join us for this event. We are aiming for a 100 accessible participants for this event with the help of all like-minded corporates and NGOs pooling in to make this a great success . - Bennet Dcunha, Director, Ezy Mov
Watch in Sign Language
- Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
August 26, 2019
- Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
August 25, 2019
- Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
August 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports August 21, 2019 Indian para swimmers successfully swim the Catalina Channel, set Asia record
- Accessibility August 19, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
- Accessibility August 22, 2019 Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Ex-minister P Chidambaram arrested
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
- Education August 24, 2019 CBSE Bareilly topper Mahima Shah appeals to PMO, Amit Shah to intervene in admission deadlock
- Events August 22, 2019 Creative Pattern Workshop For Individuals with Special Needs
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Ex-minister Arun Jaitley on life support
- Lifestyle August 22, 2019 Kurtas for men - Feast your eyes on some amazing designs
- Headlines August 26, 2019 High alert along Line of Control over terror threat
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News