Goa Carnival 2019 promises to be wheelchair accessible
January 18, 2019
The famous annual Carnival of Goa is round the corner and this year it promises to be super special.
For the first time, the carnival beginning on 2 March, will be an accessible festival with inclusive fun for everyone.
The carnival is a four-day- long festival that starts from the state capital Panaji and then moves on to other cities.
"We are happy that the carnival in Panaji will be accessible this year for wheelchair users and those with orthopedic disabilities. We hope that eventually other cities will also have accessible carnival arrangements" said Avelino Dsa, President, Disability Rights Association of Goa. The DRAG is one of the organizers.
This inclusion has been made possible by a joint partnership of Enable Travel, accessible holiday specialist, Ezymov, India's first wheelchair taxi provider and DRAG.
People with disabilities will be participating in the carnival parade and promote the breaking of barriers. The partnership is hoping to create history this year by making the Goa Carnival an accessible celebration that is not only for people from Goa but for disabled people from across the world.
Shama Noorani Choudhary, of Enable Travels said she is thrilled that disabled people will be able to enjoy the Carnival.
"When an accessible travel company and accessible transport joins hands with Disability Rights Association of Goa and the organisers of the Goa Carnival, it throws open the doors to the disabled adventurers of the world, to participate and have fun."
The arrangements will include a special viewing gallery set up for wheelchair users from where they can see and enjoy the festivities. The parade participants will dress up in festive costumes and hold placards with messages about inclusion.
This carnival we are hoping to get maximum wheelchair users and mobility restricted from all over India to join us for this event. We are aiming for a 100 accessible participants for this event with the help of all like-minded corporates and NGOs pooling in to make this a great success . - Bennet Dcunha, Director, Ezy Mov
Watch in Sign Language
- Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
June 26, 2019
- Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
June 26, 2019
- Social media thread highlights barriers faced by disabled candidates at exam halls across India
June 26, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Dhoni must keep playing, says ex Aussie cricketer
- Headlines June 24, 2019 India dismissed report on rising religious tensions
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Parenting Corner - Parent’s role in education
- Headlines June 25, 2019 RBI Deputy Governor resigns
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Panel to review ‘One Nation, One Election’ plan
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Imran Khan trolled after he quotes Tagore as Gibran
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Pakistan gets warning to curb terrorism by October
- Parasports June 23, 2019 Deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth stuns the world with performance in regular category
- Accessibility June 22, 2019 With no hearing test facility at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital, disabled students miss NEET counselling
- Events June 23, 2019 Certificate Course on Down Syndrome
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News