Tight security for women who entered Sabarimala
January 19, 2019
The Supreme Court has asked the Kerala government to provide round-the-clock security to two women from Kerala who entered Sabarimala this month, going against people who are opposed to women of menstruating age offering worship at the hill shrine.
The two women are Bindu Ammini and Kanakadurga. Both petitioned the court for security on the grounds that they are afraid for their lives.
The court said,
Having heard the lawyers we deem it appropriate to close this petition at this stage by directing Kerala to provide round the clock. Beyond the above we do not consider it necessary to go into any other issues. - Supreme Court
The court refused to entertain Bindu and Kanakadurga's plea that there should be no purification rites conducted after women enter the shrine.
The Kerala government told the court it was already providing full security to the two women. The two women are in hiding after threats by traditional groups. When Kanakadurga returned home on 15 January, she was attacked by her mother-in-law and was in hospital for treatment.
A Supreme Court bench last year ordered that the temple be thrown open to women of all ages, thus overturning a longstanding ban on the entry of female devotees of childbearing age. The reason was that the presiding deity, Lord Ayyappa, is a celibate.
The court order angered traditionalists, who have the support of both the Congress and the BJP in their fight.
Watch in Sign Language
- Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
July 17, 2019
- England’s World Cup win clouded by ICC rule controversy
July 17, 2019
- Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 11, 2019 North East Disability Summit
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Over 50 people dead, 30 missing in Nepal floods
- Headlines July 14, 2019 Middle order batsman failed, causing India's collapse, says coach
- Parasports July 14, 2019 Para chess champ Jennitha Anto does India proud yet again
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Saswati Singh's efforts to empower people with disabilities takes off as Nav Prerna Foundation
- Headlines July 10, 2019 India-New Zealand match enters reserve day
- Events July 11, 2019 Special buddies program (Basic group)
- Headlines July 17, 2019 England’s World Cup win clouded by ICC rule controversy
- Headlines July 15, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Hrithik Roshan’s ‘Super 30’ hits theatres
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News