Workshop on children with ADHD, know more
January 22, 2019
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, ADHD affects a person's ability to focus and pay attention. Children and adults with the disorder may find it difficult to focus on a particular activity as their attention span is short. This can act as a barrier in their education and professional life and affect relationships as well.
The symptoms and severity of ADHD vary from person to person. There are some signs commonly observed in children and experts say it is important to recognize the behaviour patterns and work with them.
"ADHD is real and valid. The sooner we recognize the patterns and learn to work with these kids, the better assured we will be that they as adults with be healthy members of society," says Chelana Jain, a psychological counsellor and remedial therapist.
So, what are these signs?
Self-centered or self-focused behavior is a common one and the child finds it hard to take an interest in other people.
Interrupting others frequently in conversations and activities.
Impatience - Not being able to wait for their turn.
Emotional breakdowns or tantrums.
Not being able to sit and constant fidgeting.
Not being able to finish tasks.
Lack of focus and attention in social setups.
- Inability to execute multiple instructions and frequent blunders.
There are several such symptoms that indicate the presence of ADHD in a child.
Early intervention can ensure that the child gets timely therapy and attention so life is less challenging as the years progress. It can also help parents and teachers understand how to help the child.
One such workshop is being organised in Hyderabad by the Samadhan Goyam Child Development Center. The workshop is for parents, special educators, counsellors, and guardians. Called Workshop on Secrets to Deal with ADHD Children, it will be held on 9 February.Experts will guide participants about various techniques and methods that can be used to work with children with ADHD. Among the trainers is Shivani Wadhwa
The workshop will address the basic questions that arise when dealing with a child who has ADHD. With the right methods and techniques, parents, teachers, family members can ensure proper development of the children. The methods can help in increasing the sitting tolerance of children which in turns reflects on their behavior and performance. - Shivani Wadhwa, Counselor-Professional Trainer
"Because ADHD is not a visible medical disorder people don't understand that it is just as disabling as those that are very visible. It requires understanding and acceptance that people with ADHD need some accommodations at times to perform to their potential, " she added.
Around India there is growing recognition and awareness of the critical role that early intervention plays in developmental disorders. Workshops like these offer a platform for experts and caregivers to share lessons and feel empowered.
To know more about the workshop Click Here.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on managing your own career for people with visual impairments
- Events April 22, 2019 Learn to manage your own career
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Court order paves way for woman without fingerprints to get Aadhaar card
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News