Senior BJP leader makes offensive remarks about Mayawati
January 21, 2019
Sadhna Singh, a senior BJP leader from Uttar Pradesh, has attracted strong criticism for making offensive remarks about Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati.
Singh has drawn severe criticism from the opposition for calling Mayawati, a "blot on womankind", and for accusing her of "selling her dignity for power".
The statements were made at a rally.
She (Mayawati) has no self-respect. She was almost molested earlier and yet... in history, when Draupadi was molested, she took a vow to seek revenge... but this woman, she lost everything, but still sold her dignity for the sake of power. We strongly condemn Mayawati ji. She is a blot on womankind. A woman who gulped insults for comfort and power ... is a blot on womankind. - Sadhana Singh, BJP MLA, Uttar Pradesh
Singh's comments were in reference to an incident in 1995 in Lucknow when the BSP chief was assaulted by Samajwadi Party workers. This led to decades of hostility between the two parties. That ended when the two parties joined hands for the national elections in Uttar Pradesh, which was announced by Mayawati and Akhilesh Yadav last week.
Mayawati said she had decided to put the past behind her.
The BSP has said that Singh's comments show that the BJP is frustrated with the SP-BSP alliance. Senior BSP leader Satish Chandra Mishra., said "They have lost their mental balance in fear of losing the election in Uttar Pradesh."
The Congress, which was rejected by Mayawati and Yadav for the alliance, called the comments disturbing as well. Congress spokesperson Priyanka Chaturvedi tweeted,
"One may have differences on issues and ideas but it is disturbing: -That this lady represents the ruling party in UP-BJP (not surprising) -To hear a lady speak in such a derogatory way about another lady -To see people in the audience cheering such words."
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 These surprise gift boxes by Little Trovebox has people hooked
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Events June 20, 2019 Anxiety Disorders & Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 At this Chennai grocery shop, people with autism show their skills at customer service
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Events June 20, 2019 Mental Health Session
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Acid attack survivors hope SRK's support will lend greater focus to their campaign
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News