Over 200 chess players sign up for annual tournament in Hyderabad
Started in 2011, the annual national-level chess tournament by the Devnar School for the Blind in Hyderabad has become quite a popular event. The event is organized in partnership with the All India Chess Federation for the Blind (AICFB). This year, visually impaired chess players from 18 states in India will take on each other at the 9th Hyderabad Fide Rating Chess Tournament for Visually Challenged 2019.
One of the regular players is Swapnil Shah.
We have successfully organized tournaments in the past and this year too we are hoping that around 200 chess players will attend the event. Aspirants from the age of 10 years till 76 years will be playing. Blind chess players wait for the whole year for the tournament and we are happy to be organizing it. Swapnil Shah, Chess Player
The competition is from 1 - 5 May at the Devnar School for the Blind. Interested candidates will need to register with the AICFB before 15 April. Participants will be given free accommodation for the duration of the tournament.
Among the players who have taken part in past tournaments, is Maharashtra's Aryan Joshi.
“I have taken part in the at least five of these tournaments and always felt happy and excited about the competition, " says Joshi.
Over the decades, blind chess players from India have made their mark on the international scene, with legendary players like Viswanathan Anand providing mentoring to many. Competitions like these are an opportunity for budding players to show their skills and learn from the moves of senior players.
To get more information about the tournament Click Here.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Events February 17, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe- Session 3
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Get-hooked February 7, 2019