Over 200 chess players sign up for annual tournament in Hyderabad
January 24, 2019
Started in 2011, the annual national-level chess tournament by the Devnar School for the Blind in Hyderabad has become quite a popular event. The event is organized in partnership with the All India Chess Federation for the Blind (AICFB). This year, visually impaired chess players from 18 states in India will take on each other at the 9th Hyderabad Fide Rating Chess Tournament for Visually Challenged 2019.
One of the regular players is Swapnil Shah.
We have successfully organized tournaments in the past and this year too we are hoping that around 200 chess players will attend the event. Aspirants from the age of 10 years till 76 years will be playing. Blind chess players wait for the whole year for the tournament and we are happy to be organizing it. Swapnil Shah, Chess Player
The competition is from 1 - 5 May at the Devnar School for the Blind. Interested candidates will need to register with the AICFB before 15 April. Participants will be given free accommodation for the duration of the tournament.
Among the players who have taken part in past tournaments, is Maharashtra's Aryan Joshi.
"I have taken part in the at least five of these tournaments and always felt happy and excited about the competition, " says Joshi.
Over the decades, blind chess players from India have made their mark on the international scene, with legendary players like Viswanathan Anand providing mentoring to many. Competitions like these are an opportunity for budding players to show their skills and learn from the moves of senior players.
To get more information about the tournament Click Here.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News