Over 200 chess players sign up for annual tournament in Hyderabad
January 24, 2019
Started in 2011, the annual national-level chess tournament by the Devnar School for the Blind in Hyderabad has become quite a popular event. The event is organized in partnership with the All India Chess Federation for the Blind (AICFB). This year, visually impaired chess players from 18 states in India will take on each other at the 9th Hyderabad Fide Rating Chess Tournament for Visually Challenged 2019.
One of the regular players is Swapnil Shah.
We have successfully organized tournaments in the past and this year too we are hoping that around 200 chess players will attend the event. Aspirants from the age of 10 years till 76 years will be playing. Blind chess players wait for the whole year for the tournament and we are happy to be organizing it. Swapnil Shah, Chess Player
The competition is from 1 - 5 May at the Devnar School for the Blind. Interested candidates will need to register with the AICFB before 15 April. Participants will be given free accommodation for the duration of the tournament.
Among the players who have taken part in past tournaments, is Maharashtra's Aryan Joshi.
"I have taken part in the at least five of these tournaments and always felt happy and excited about the competition, " says Joshi.
Over the decades, blind chess players from India have made their mark on the international scene, with legendary players like Viswanathan Anand providing mentoring to many. Competitions like these are an opportunity for budding players to show their skills and learn from the moves of senior players.
To get more information about the tournament Click Here.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology June 24, 2019 New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
- Get-hooked June 26, 2019 Nationwide contest seeks to unearth and showcase talented blind cooks
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Making a difference – Quick Tips for budding social entrepreneurs
- Parasports June 26, 2019 Ireland win puts para shuttler Pramod Bhagat among contenders for Tokyo Paralympics
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
- Headlines June 24, 2019 India dismissed report on rising religious tensions
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Love, Marriage & Disability - couples share their stories
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Driving change in attitudes towards disability in Jammu-Kashmir - My Take by Dildar Ahmad Shapoo
- Parasports June 23, 2019 Deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth stuns the world with performance in regular category
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News