Priyanka Gandhi joins politics, gets key role
January 24, 2019
In important news, Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, sister of Congress president Rahul Gandhi, has entered politics in an active role for the first time. The move comes ahead of the national election in May. She has been given a key role as general secretary in charge of Uttar Pradesh east.
47-year-old Gandhi has until now always stuck to her role in in politics to the constituencies of her brother and mother Sonia Gandhi in Amethi and Raebareli. Her appointment to a key position is seen as an indication of the Congress's realization that in a key state like Uttar Pradesh, which is crucial to winning the national elections, there cannot be only one person in charge.
Gandhi's appointment was announced in a press statement. Jyotiraditya Scindia has been given charge of western UP. Ghulam Nabi Azad will be Congress general secretary in Haryana.
Honourable Congress President has also appointed Smt Priyanka Gandhi Vadra as AICC General Secretary for Uttar Pradesh East. She will be taking charge with effect on first week of February 2019. - Ashok Gehlot, General Secretary (Organization), All India Congress Committee
Her entry into active politics will act as a morale booster to Congress workers who have been feeling gloomy after the Mayawati-Akhilesh Yadav announcement of an alliance without the Congress.
Speaking to the media in Amethi, the Congress president said, "the party is fighting for its convictions. Be it Priyanka Gandhi or Jyotiraditya Scindia, the Congress has powerful leaders and we want to challenge the leadership in Uttar Pradesh. I respect Mayawatiji and Akhilesh Yadavji and the three of have the common mission of wiping out UP. We are not enemies but we have different approaches and I am open to talks."
The reactions to the announcement indicate that this decision was in response to this alliance. Swati Chaturvedi, a senior journalist tweeted, "So the Gandhi brother sister duo is the cong answer to the Bua & Bhatija alliance UP just got very interesting." Another journalist Harinder Baweja said, "The battle for 2019 just got more interesting!"
Watch in Sign Language
- PM Modi casts vote in Ahmedabad
April 24, 2019
- Bollywood actor Sunny Deol joins BJP
April 24, 2019
- Islamic State takes responsibility for Lanka blasts
April 24, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Get-hooked April 23, 2019 Come, raise a toast to ability at the Sunshine Cafe in Mumbai
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Vir Chakra recommended for Air Force pilot
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Events April 24, 2019 Summer Camp 2019
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News