Priyanka Gandhi joins politics, gets key role
In important news, Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, sister of Congress president Rahul Gandhi, has entered politics in an active role for the first time. The move comes ahead of the national election in May. She has been given a key role as general secretary in charge of Uttar Pradesh east.
47-year-old Gandhi has until now always stuck to her role in in politics to the constituencies of her brother and mother Sonia Gandhi in Amethi and Raebareli. Her appointment to a key position is seen as an indication of the Congress's realization that in a key state like Uttar Pradesh, which is crucial to winning the national elections, there cannot be only one person in charge.
Gandhi's appointment was announced in a press statement. Jyotiraditya Scindia has been given charge of western UP. Ghulam Nabi Azad will be Congress general secretary in Haryana.
Honourable Congress President has also appointed Smt Priyanka Gandhi Vadra as AICC General Secretary for Uttar Pradesh East. She will be taking charge with effect on first week of February 2019. - Ashok Gehlot, General Secretary (Organization), All India Congress Committee
Her entry into active politics will act as a morale booster to Congress workers who have been feeling gloomy after the Mayawati-Akhilesh Yadav announcement of an alliance without the Congress.
Speaking to the media in Amethi, the Congress president said, "the party is fighting for its convictions. Be it Priyanka Gandhi or Jyotiraditya Scindia, the Congress has powerful leaders and we want to challenge the leadership in Uttar Pradesh. I respect Mayawatiji and Akhilesh Yadavji and the three of have the common mission of wiping out UP. We are not enemies but we have different approaches and I am open to talks."
The reactions to the announcement indicate that this decision was in response to this alliance. Swati Chaturvedi, a senior journalist tweeted, "So the Gandhi brother sister duo is the cong answer to the Bua & Bhatija alliance UP just got very interesting." Another journalist Harinder Baweja said, "The battle for 2019 just got more interesting!"
Watch in Sign Language
- Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
February 18, 2019
- Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
February 18, 2019
- Kashmir Valley shuts down after terror attack
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News