Kozhikode opens park for disabled kids, a Kerala first
January 26, 2019
After Chennai, the Kozhikode Municipal Corporation in Kerala has opened an exclusive park for disabled children at the Mananchira Square in the city.
The park has been built at the popular Ansari Literary Park in partnership with ESAF as part of the United Nations Habitat for the city corporation. It has got a big thumbs up from members of the disabled community, activists and NGOs.
Prajith Jaipal, a disability rights activist in Kozhikode, who recently visited the United States to attend an accessibility expo, says this is a major step towards inclusion.
I believe inclusion must start off from children. Hence, places like schools and parks are the ideal places to begin with. More than infrastructural changes, people's attitudes towards disabilities must change. Nothing like catching them at a young age. I appreciate the efforts taken by Kozhikode Corporation and ESAF in introducing this. Authorities must also ensure that there are facilities like accessible washrooms with ramps so that children can spend more time at the parks. -Prajith Jaipal, Activist
Merry go rounds, swings, seesaws and play houses for disabled children and a sensory wall for children who are visually impaired are some of the major attractions at the park.
Many parents have welcomed the move. , mother to a teenager with muscular dystrophy, says her son suffered due to lack of access to such parks as a child.
"When my son was a child, we used to take him to parks but he never got the chance to get onto anything because they were not accessible. So he used to sit in the car outside the parks and watch other kids play. I knew that he longed to go there and play along with them. He has been on a wheelchair since the last few years and even now we take him to check out parks once in a while. This is a great step to inclusion", says Kumari.
Rs eight lakh has been spent on the equipment here and children can visit from morning till 7 pm. With summer vacations round the corner, disabled children can have a novel experience playing and indulging with peers at this new park at Kozhikode.
Watch in Sign Language
- Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
August 26, 2019
- Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
August 25, 2019
- Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
August 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
- Get-Hooked August 25, 2019 Understanding Teaching Nonverbal Children
- Parasports August 26, 2019 India para shuttlers win 12 medals at BWF World Championship Para-Badminton 2019
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Para shuttler Pramod Bhagat's Arjuna Award glory marred by lack of recognition for head coach
- Get-Hooked August 23, 2019 Wheelchair users in Kochi rally together under the banner Kochi Wheelchair Koottayma
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Ex-minister Arun Jaitley on life support
- Headlines August 26, 2019 High alert along Line of Control over terror threat
- Get-Hooked August 20, 2019 Inclusive Spotfix initiative to beauty Bangalore roads
- Education August 24, 2019 CBSE Bareilly topper Mahima Shah appeals to PMO, Amit Shah to intervene in admission deadlock
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News