For the 1st time ever, blind students in Telangana to march in Republic Day parade
For the first time ever, visually impaired students are a part of the Republic Day parade in Telangana. Fifty students, 26 girls and 24 boys from from the Nethra Vidyalaya Junior and Degree College have been chosen for this honour.
The students have been training for months on their campus, and for the last few days at the Parade Ground in Secunderabad where the main event is held.
Telangana government officials were approached by the institute to seek permission for blind students to take part.
We are very proud that our students have been given the opportunity to be a part of this big day. They have worked very hard for the parade. Their efforts prove that nothing is impossible for them if they are given proper guidance and training. - Shirisha Latha, Secretary, Nethra Vidyalaya.
The students had earlier taken part in the 70th National NCC Day Parade and awed everyone with their synchronized walking routine.
“Our students are very happy to have received the government’s approval for walking in the Republic Day. It is a great honor for us to be able to get a representation in the parade", said Srinivas, a teacher here.
The students have gained a lot of confidence through practice and it means a lot to them to be able to showcase their potential before the world.
Nethra Vidyalaya institutes have been changing the lives of children with visual impairments through education. Nethra Vidyalaya institutes include a residential school in Visakhapatnam, schools and colleges for blind students in Hyderabad.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Patients find centre stage in competencies aimed to develop disability-inclusive compassionate care
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 18, 2019
Get-hooked February 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019