Gujarat government shifts 500 endangered crocs, protests erupt
January 27, 2019
The Gujarat Forest Department has started to relocate an endangered species of crocodiles to start a seaplane service from the Statue of Unity. Over 500 crocodiles will be relocated which has infuriated animal activists and NGOs from across India.
This new seaplane project is initiated by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the work is going on under the Gujarat state government's supervision.
Among those to have spoken out strongly is leading environmentalist Bittu Sehgal
Have we collectively lost our minds? - Bittu Sahgal, Editor, Sanctuary Asia.
Authorities are using fish as bait to capture the crocodiles and shift them. Currently, they have captured more than 10 crocodiles. Experts pointed out that shifting of the crocodiles must be done scientifically, but that is not being followed. The reptiles are captured, put in cages and transported in pick-up vans. Experts say this is hardly the way to look after an endangered, vulnerable species.
"Sad to hear this, Government is shifting 500 #crocodiles to improve tourism", tweeted Achlesh Daverey.
The Statue of Unity, which is the world's tallest statue, was unveiled on October 2018. This is a statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel located at the banks of River Narmada. It is over 182 metres and is being promoted as a a prime tourist attraction.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines April 12, 2019
Headlines April 14, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News