Gujarat government shifts 500 endangered crocs, protests erupt
January 27, 2019
The Gujarat Forest Department has started to relocate an endangered species of crocodiles to start a seaplane service from the Statue of Unity. Over 500 crocodiles will be relocated which has infuriated animal activists and NGOs from across India.
This new seaplane project is initiated by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the work is going on under the Gujarat state government's supervision.
Among those to have spoken out strongly is leading environmentalist Bittu Sehgal
Have we collectively lost our minds? - Bittu Sahgal, Editor, Sanctuary Asia.
Authorities are using fish as bait to capture the crocodiles and shift them. Currently, they have captured more than 10 crocodiles. Experts pointed out that shifting of the crocodiles must be done scientifically, but that is not being followed. The reptiles are captured, put in cages and transported in pick-up vans. Experts say this is hardly the way to look after an endangered, vulnerable species.
"Sad to hear this, Government is shifting 500 #crocodiles to improve tourism", tweeted Achlesh Daverey.
The Statue of Unity, which is the world's tallest statue, was unveiled on October 2018. This is a statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel located at the banks of River Narmada. It is over 182 metres and is being promoted as a a prime tourist attraction.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Love, Marriage & Disability - couples share their stories
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Sustainable, eco-friendly vocational training for disabled adults, the Aarambh way
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Events June 20, 2019 Special buddies program (Intermediate group)
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News