A helpline number, exclusively for disabled people, now in Goa
January 29, 2019
From making the Goa Carnival accessible to now launching a helpline number exclusively foe disabled people, Goa is hitting the headlines for all the right reasons. The helpline has been started by the Disability Rights Association of Goa (DRAG) to reach out better to the community across the state.
The helpline number is 9971820420. and it is operational from 9 AM to 9 PM. It is open to people with all disability types. They can call this number with questions relating to welfare schemes, grievance redressal, accessibility, employment and more.
Manning the helpline are over four volunteers, well versed in the languages - Konkani, Marathi, Hindi and English. Deaf people can reach out to the helpline number through WhatsApp messages.
it's been three days since we launched the service and we have got a couple of calls so far. We hope that in the coming days as people become aware of the number, we will get more calls. We also hope that the WhatsApp facility is also going to be of help for people from deaf community. - Avelino Dsa, President, Disability Rights Association of Goa (DRAG)
Once the queries are raised, DRAG will raise the matter with concerned departments. The aim is to ensure speedy action. With thousands of people in the state struggling to get a disability certificate, this helpline number will be a blessing.
"We are still waiting to get more calls because people are only getting to know about this venture now. In Goa, there are many disabled people. So this helpline number is going to be of great help to them all. Most of the disabled people are not aware of their rights. We aim to provide them a platform to know all that. Currently, there are four people who will pick up calls. But we will surely have more people in the coming days", says Vishant Nagvekar, a key member of DRAG.
Sp, spread the word. This is a service that can be of enormous help to draw attention to the needs of the community.
Watch in Sign Language
- Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
April 20, 2019
- Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
April 20, 2019
- #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
April 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News