A helpline number, exclusively for disabled people, now in Goa
January 29, 2019
From making the Goa Carnival accessible to now launching a helpline number exclusively foe disabled people, Goa is hitting the headlines for all the right reasons. The helpline has been started by the Disability Rights Association of Goa (DRAG) to reach out better to the community across the state.
The helpline number is 9971820420. and it is operational from 9 AM to 9 PM. It is open to people with all disability types. They can call this number with questions relating to welfare schemes, grievance redressal, accessibility, employment and more.
Manning the helpline are over four volunteers, well versed in the languages - Konkani, Marathi, Hindi and English. Deaf people can reach out to the helpline number through WhatsApp messages.
it's been three days since we launched the service and we have got a couple of calls so far. We hope that in the coming days as people become aware of the number, we will get more calls. We also hope that the WhatsApp facility is also going to be of help for people from deaf community. - Avelino Dsa, President, Disability Rights Association of Goa (DRAG)
Once the queries are raised, DRAG will raise the matter with concerned departments. The aim is to ensure speedy action. With thousands of people in the state struggling to get a disability certificate, this helpline number will be a blessing.
"We are still waiting to get more calls because people are only getting to know about this venture now. In Goa, there are many disabled people. So this helpline number is going to be of great help to them all. Most of the disabled people are not aware of their rights. We aim to provide them a platform to know all that. Currently, there are four people who will pick up calls. But we will surely have more people in the coming days", says Vishant Nagvekar, a key member of DRAG.
Sp, spread the word. This is a service that can be of enormous help to draw attention to the needs of the community.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Nippon Paint launches SAHYOG programme to empower youth with disabilities
- Headlines June 23, 2019 ‘Kabir Singh’ becomes fourth-highest opener of 2019
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Driving change in attitudes towards disability in Jammu-Kashmir - My Take by Dildar Ahmad Shapoo
- Parasports June 26, 2019 Ireland win puts para shuttler Pramod Bhagat among contenders for Tokyo Paralympics
- Parasports June 19, 2019 Tamil Nadu set to rock the National Wheelchair Basketball Championship
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Encephalitis kills 108 people in Bihar
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News