A helpline number, exclusively for disabled people, now in Goa
From making the Goa Carnival accessible to now launching a helpline number exclusively foe disabled people, Goa is hitting the headlines for all the right reasons. The helpline has been started by the Disability Rights Association of Goa (DRAG) to reach out better to the community across the state.
The helpline number is 9971820420. and it is operational from 9 AM to 9 PM. It is open to people with all disability types. They can call this number with questions relating to welfare schemes, grievance redressal, accessibility, employment and more.
Manning the helpline are over four volunteers, well versed in the languages - Konkani, Marathi, Hindi and English. Deaf people can reach out to the helpline number through WhatsApp messages.
it's been three days since we launched the service and we have got a couple of calls so far. We hope that in the coming days as people become aware of the number, we will get more calls. We also hope that the WhatsApp facility is also going to be of help for people from deaf community. - Avelino Dsa, President, Disability Rights Association of Goa (DRAG)
Once the queries are raised, DRAG will raise the matter with concerned departments. The aim is to ensure speedy action. With thousands of people in the state struggling to get a disability certificate, this helpline number will be a blessing.
“We are still waiting to get more calls because people are only getting to know about this venture now. In Goa, there are many disabled people. So this helpline number is going to be of great help to them all. Most of the disabled people are not aware of their rights. We aim to provide them a platform to know all that. Currently, there are four people who will pick up calls. But we will surely have more people in the coming days”, says Vishant Nagvekar, a key member of DRAG.
Sp, spread the word. This is a service that can be of enormous help to draw attention to the needs of the community.
Watch in Sign Language
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 17, 2019
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019