Former Defence Minister George Fernandes is dead
January 30, 2019
George Fernandes, India's former Defence Minister passed away at the age of 88 years. He had been unwell and bedridden for many years. Fernandes was Defence Minister between 1998 and 2004.
Mr Fernandes was one of the tallest leaders of the socialist movement in the 1970s and a senior Janata Dal leader before he founded the Samata Party.
He held many other ministerial portfolios as well like communications, industry and railways
Prime Minister Narendra Modi mourned his death in a tweet,
George Sahab represented the best of India's political leadership. Frank and fearless, forthright and farsighted, he made a valuable contribution to our country. He was among the most effective voices for the rights of the poor and marginalised. Saddened by his passing away. - Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Mr Fernandes was born in Mangalore in 1930 and was training to be a Roman Catholic priest when he joined politics, first as a trade union leader. In 1974, he organised a nationwide railway strike.
During the 1975 Emergency imposed by then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, he was arrested for the conspiracy of blowing up government buildings. He became the hero of the Emergency and was made minister when the Janata Party came to power in 1977.
Rich tributes were paid after news of his death came in. Union Minister Nitin Gadkari called him an "icon" and said, "I offer condolences at his passing away. He committed his life to the country. He fought for justice for trade unions".
His companion until a few years ago, Jaya Jaitley said, that his body would be cremated and his ashes buried. "He had expressed his wished earlier to be cremated but during his last days, he said he wanted to be buried. So, we will cremate the body and bury the ashes, to fulfil both his wishes".
Mr Fernandes' funeral will be held today after the arrival of his son, Sean Fernandes from the United States.
Watch in Sign Language
- Heavy rains bring down temperatures in Delhi
August 19, 2019
- Kerala nun seeks justice from the Vatican
August 19, 2019
- #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
August 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Expect little international support on J&K, says Pakistan foreign minister
- Get-Hooked August 14, 2019 Young innovator Prashant Gade seeks support to give prosthetic arms for free to the needy
- Technology August 18, 2019 Tech startup Wavio develops device that will help deaf people see sounds
- Headlines August 17, 2019 UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
- Headlines August 18, 2019 ‘Mission Mangal’ gets grand opening at box office
- Accessibility August 19, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
- Headlines August 16, 2019 Virat Kohli sets new record
- Accessibility August 14, 2019 Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Angry reactions to Mika Singh's performance in Karachi
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines August 14, 2019
Headlines August 16, 2019
Headlines August 6, 2019
Headlines August 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News