Major protest against government apathy by deaf groups in New Delhi
January 31, 2019
In December, thousands of deaf people, NGOs and activists had come together at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi for a common cause - to empower people from the deaf community. The protests were organised by Priority on Educational Training (PET), an NGO that empowers deaf people.
No action has ben taken by the government after that and PET is set to protest again on 5 February in the Capital. Almost 200 people have already signed up for the event.
PET is an organization that primarily aims to eradicate unemployment from deaf community. One of their main demands is to employ deaf people in government jobs without examinations due to the faulty education system that does not cater to deaf people. They also want to bring reforms to the education system, start sign language classes in schools, access to flexible government loans and more seats in senior secondary-level deaf schools to name a few.
We are organizing peaceful protests to raise our demands. It is high time that the government pays attention to deaf community and they are sidelined. Their demands go unnoticed. Almost 50 NGO's are taking part in the upcoming protest. There are exclusive disability organizations all over India. We hope they all come together for demanding their rights. Last time, our protests were ignored by the government. This time, we want to ensure that this is a successful protest- Umakanta Ray, Secretary, PET
The groups are also going to demand that cochlear implants not be done, as this is unaffordable for most people.
"I support the demands that are raised by the deaf community. There must be inclusion and they should be given equal rights. They must get government jobs and loans so that they can survive in India, which is one of the largest democracies of the world", said Sangeeta Gala, an Indian Sign Language consultant.
This time, organizers are going all out to ensure that the event is a successful one.
Watch in Sign Language
- Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
April 20, 2019
- Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
April 20, 2019
- #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
April 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 What Good Are We? - Guest column by Arun Dua
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News