ICICI Bank sacks Chanda Kochhar
January 31, 2019
The former CEO of ICICI Bank Chanda Kochhar has been sacked by the bank based on the enquiry conducted by the retired Justice Srikrishna's panel.
As per reports, the enquiry panel has found in its investigation that Chanda Kochhar had abused her position. She has been accused of criminal conspiracy and cheating by the CBI as well.
A whistle blower had raised the suspicion over shady dealings between Kochhar and Videocon Group last year. As a result investigation was launched by the bank and Chanda Kochhar had quit as CEO and managing director by taking early retirement in October.
However, now the bank has ordered her termination and that means she will lose all her increments, bonuses, medical benefits and stock options. She will also have to return the bonus amounts paid to her by ICICI bank from April 2009 to March 2018.
Kochhar has been accused of irregularities in lending out a huge loan of Rs 3,250 crore in 2012 to the Videocon Group. After receiving the loan from ICICI, Venugopal Dhoot, of the Videocon group allegedly invested crores in NuPower Renewables which is company belonging to Chanda Kochhar's husband.
The deal benefitted Chanda Kochhar's husband Deepak Kochhar and also her family members.
The termination is huge setback to Chanda Kochhar, who is recognized as an influencer in shaping of retail banking in India.
Here are some responses to the news on social media
Sukumar Das @sukumarbbr tweete,"Replying to @ndtv Why Bank Auditor could not track it when she was in chair? What risk team of bank was doing??"
J Gopikrishnan @jgopikrishnan70 wrote,"So at last CBI started raids ex-ICICI Bank head Chanda Kochhar - Husband - Videocon money siphoning case. Good. Many were trying to save her"
Watch in Sign Language
- Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
June 17, 2019
- Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
June 17, 2019
- More deaths due to encephalitis in Bihar
June 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Maldives confers Modi with highest honour
- Employment June 12, 2019 Breast cancer detection training for blind women to be expanded to more Indian cities
- Events June 11, 2019 Golden Eye Chef 2019
- Employment June 17, 2019 SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Gujarat on high alert for cyclone
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News