Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Taking up a sport is a great way to stay fit and active. This is true for people with and without disabilities. There are numerous sports that can be adapted to follow a healthy lifestyle.
Para shuttler Neeraj George, who has won many national and international accolades, says choose a game that you find easy to follow.
I started playing badminton for the love of the game. But now, I am a professional badminton player. So basically my passion turned into a profession. Sports are important for your body because it helps you keep moving. For a disabled person, sports are the ideal way to get out of your disabilities and explore. When you push yourself you feel better. - Neeraj George, Para badminton champ
Sports makes you feel independent, improves emotional health and widens your social circle. Depending on your disability and your interest levels, the options are many from running, badminton, cricket, tennis and even swimming.
Mohammed Shams Aalam Shaikh , the well-known para swimmer has made it his mission to impart this love for sports to people with disabilities. As someone who has been able to successfully overcome the limitations of disability through the power of sport, he is convinced sports can help everyone.
"I started sports to remain fit and active", says Aalam. "I started swimming at a young age in the village pond and I also learned karate and other martial arts. Sports has made me feel great and happy. In fact, sports is life to me", says Aalam.
So, what are you waiting for? Find the sport that interests you and follow it sincerely to feel the difference.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 Discriminatory medical admission guidelines regarding disabled aspirants crush this Ranchi doctor's dream
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Gun laws to change in New Zealand after terror attack
- Headlines March 13, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi Vadra addresses rally in Gujarat
- Headlines March 16, 2019 Bangladesh cricketers escaped terror attack closely
- Events March 20, 2019 Session by Smrithy Rajesh
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Medical Council of India changes postgraduate admission rules only for students with locomotor disabilities
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
- Events March 14, 2019 Beat It! Drums and Mridangam Show
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News