Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Taking up a sport is a great way to stay fit and active. This is true for people with and without disabilities. There are numerous sports that can be adapted to follow a healthy lifestyle.
Para shuttler Neeraj George, who has won many national and international accolades, says choose a game that you find easy to follow.
I started playing badminton for the love of the game. But now, I am a professional badminton player. So basically my passion turned into a profession. Sports are important for your body because it helps you keep moving. For a disabled person, sports are the ideal way to get out of your disabilities and explore. When you push yourself you feel better. - Neeraj George, Para badminton champ
Sports makes you feel independent, improves emotional health and widens your social circle. Depending on your disability and your interest levels, the options are many from running, badminton, cricket, tennis and even swimming.
Mohammed Shams Aalam Shaikh , the well-known para swimmer has made it his mission to impart this love for sports to people with disabilities. As someone who has been able to successfully overcome the limitations of disability through the power of sport, he is convinced sports can help everyone.
"I started sports to remain fit and active", says Aalam. "I started swimming at a young age in the village pond and I also learned karate and other martial arts. Sports has made me feel great and happy. In fact, sports is life to me", says Aalam.
So, what are you waiting for? Find the sport that interests you and follow it sincerely to feel the difference.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 #BeingMom - Vinayana Khurana's creative side was enhanced by mother Neerja
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Exit polls predict comfortable win for BJP
- Accessibility May 21, 2019 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 'Follow your heart, not your brain to find success' - Guest column by Neelu Jindal
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Clean chit for Mulayam Singh & son in corruption case
- Headlines May 24, 2019 PM Modi's victory speech - Key Highlights
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Stay cool this summer, some tips for wheelchair users
- Headlines May 23, 2019 NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Para athlete Javed Choudhari to dance up a storm on reality show Dance Deewane
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 Music knows no boundaries so why barriers at concert venues, ask disabled music lovers
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News