Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Taking up a sport is a great way to stay fit and active. This is true for people with and without disabilities. There are numerous sports that can be adapted to follow a healthy lifestyle.
Para shuttler Neeraj George, who has won many national and international accolades, says choose a game that you find easy to follow.
I started playing badminton for the love of the game. But now, I am a professional badminton player. So basically my passion turned into a profession. Sports are important for your body because it helps you keep moving. For a disabled person, sports are the ideal way to get out of your disabilities and explore. When you push yourself you feel better. - Neeraj George, Para badminton champ
Sports makes you feel independent, improves emotional health and widens your social circle. Depending on your disability and your interest levels, the options are many from running, badminton, cricket, tennis and even swimming.
Mohammed Shams Aalam Shaikh , the well-known para swimmer has made it his mission to impart this love for sports to people with disabilities. As someone who has been able to successfully overcome the limitations of disability through the power of sport, he is convinced sports can help everyone.
"I started sports to remain fit and active", says Aalam. "I started swimming at a young age in the village pond and I also learned karate and other martial arts. Sports has made me feel great and happy. In fact, sports is life to me", says Aalam.
So, what are you waiting for? Find the sport that interests you and follow it sincerely to feel the difference.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
August 22, 2019
- Indian para swimmers successfully swim the Catalina Channel, set Asia record
August 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
- Events August 21, 2019 Workshop on Nayi Disha Resource Library
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Primary schools reopen in J&K
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Parenting Corner- Motivating children
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Ex-minister P Chidambaram arrested
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Kerala minister K K Shailaja steps in for deaf child affected in the floods
- Technology August 22, 2019 #TechThursdays – Kibo XS, world’s 1st intelligent personalised scanning & reading companion
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Security hiked for Indian cricket team
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 Hydrotherapist Amal Upadhyay is convinced about the healing powers of swimming
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News