6 killed, several injured as Seemanchal Express derailed in Bihar
February 4, 2019
Six passengers lost their lives and many more were injured when the coaches of Seemanchal Express Train derailed in Bihar yesterday.
As per reports, nine coaches of the train went off the tracks when the Delhi going train was moving at full speed.
Many passengers have said that the train had been trembling unusually before the accident occurred. Several passengers had been worried about the coaches being unstable and had reported the issue to the ticket examiner and coach assistant.
However, their concerns were not listened to and soon the coaches went off the tracks in Hajipur in Bihar. Local villagers were the first to reach the spot and help in the rescue works.
PM Modi tweeted his condolences, "Deeply anguished by the loss of lives due to the derailment of coaches of the Seemanchal Express. My thoughts are with the bereaved families. May the injured recover quickly. Railways, NDRF, and local authorities are providing all possible assistance in the wake of the accident." The investigation into the cause of the accident is underway and it has been found that the tracks did not have fishplates and it may have caused the derailment.
India railway has announced a compensation of Rs 5 lakh each to families who lost their loved ones in the accident. Seriously injured people will be given Rs 1 lakh and those with minor injuries will get Rs 50,000 compensation.
The medical treatment of the injured passengers will also be paid for by the railways.
These are the helpline numbers for Seemanchal Express derailment:
The accident has again raised concerns about train travelling in the country.
?????????? @IncipidBrain,"Replying to @nishantchat I have heard about the news of Rail derailment today... Now whose accountability and who should you back up and who should be sacked?"
Watch in Sign Language
- Congress spokesperson attacks her party
April 19, 2019
- Second voting phase-Key points
April 19, 2019
- ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
April 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Share funding details, court tells political parties
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Hygiene lessons for children with autism can be made fun, here's how
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 What Good Are We? - Guest column by Arun Dua
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News