From jar-lifting to acting, record holder Anjurani Joy explores new frontiers
February 6, 2019
Anjurani Joy is a true inspiration to many people. This wheelchair user has set two world records in jar lifting.
Joy's tryst with jar lifting started 13 years back. She can hold heavy jars up to two kgs with her two fingers. Apart from that, she also does mirror writing with both hands at the same time in English and Malayalam.
Now, Joy is all set to test new waters. She just finished shooting for her upcoming Malayalam movie Oru Nalla Kottayamkaran. The 31-year-old is all excited when she talks about appearing in front of the camera for the first time.
The movie, directed by Simon Kuruvilla takes audiences into the life of social worker P U Thomas. Thomas, who is from Kottayam, Kerala, started Navajeevan Trust. One of the biggest NGO's in Kerala, it provides help to homeless and disabled people. Joy plays the role of Sneha, a wheelchair user who was brought up at the trust.
Though I have appeared on TV shows, acting in a movie was a first time experience and it felt great. Pretty, the associate director of the movie, knew me well and recommended me to the director. I always aspired to act in movies but never thought I would get a chance. So when this one came by, I bagged it with happiness. There was almost 10 days of shooting and I got to meet a lot of new people as well-Anjurani Joy
Anju, who is from Idukki, is also gearing up to be a part of a theatre performance named Chaya. It will be the first drama where all the actors are wheelchair users. There are over nine wheelchair users who will perform here.
"I could learn many things after working in 'Oru Nalla Kottayamkaran'. More than anything I could meet some great souls. Most of the actors were seniors. But they were so patient and understanding. They gave me all the time to be comfortable during shots. It was like a family. There was a lot of support and it was great", says Anju.
Pretty says that Joy's performance was exceptionally brilliant for a first timer.
"I have interviewed Anjurani for a TV show. That is how I first met her. During that time itself I noticed that she had a lot of untapped talents and skills".
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Chennai hit by worst water crisis
- Events June 20, 2019 With This Ability - Comedy and Conversation with Sweta Mantrii
- Events June 20, 2019 Workshop on Behaviour Therapy
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
- Parasports June 23, 2019 Deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth stuns the world with performance in regular category
- Events June 26, 2019 Morning of Fun
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Imran Khan trolled after he quotes Tagore as Gibran
- Headlines June 26, 2019 11 arrested in Jharkhand lynching case
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News