Smriti Mandhana shines but India lose to New Zealand
February 7, 2019
Smriti Mandhana made history after she scored 50 runs off 24 runs, the fastest by an Indian women, in the first T20 International against New Zealand at Wellington.
Opener Mandhana was dismissed by Amelia Kerr for 58 runs when India were 102 for two, with 58 runs left to reach the target. But India lost the T20I series-opener by 23 runs. Mandhana hit three boundaries and seven sixes in her entertaining 34-ball knock.
India chose to bowl and limited New Zealand to 159 for four in their allotted 20 overs. Arundhati Reddy, Radha Yadav, Deepti Sharma and Poonam Yadav took a wicket each for India.
Captain Harmanpreet Kaur blamed the loss on poor batting.
I think bowlers did really well as we expected. We didn't bat well in the last 10 overs. That is only area where we are always struggling. - Harmanpreet Kaur, Captain, Indian women's cricket team
Mandhana has played some amazing knocks India's spectacular 2-1 win over New Zealand in the ODI series. She scored her fourth ODI century and an unbeaten 90 in the first two matches to grab the top spot in the ICC ODI Rankings for Women's batters.
Compliments have come pouring in for Mandhana on Twitter. "Well played @mandana_smriti. Would like to see more from you in future. But the match should have been won as it was almost there. Better luck next time." said one fan.
The next game will be held in Auckland on Friday.
Watch in Sign Language
- World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
June 16, 2019
- Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
June 16, 2019
- Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
June 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Maldives confers Modi with highest honour
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Headlines June 9, 2019 Ex-union minister Aslam Sher Khan offers to replace Rahul Gandhi
- Get-hooked June 9, 2019 Sportsperson & businesswoman, Geetha Chauhan excels at all that she does
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan out of World Cup due to injury
- Headlines June 11, 2019 PM says Rahul yet to recover from poll loss
- Events June 11, 2019 Nurturing The Green Week’ 2019 - World Environment day
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News