Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
February 14, 2019
The Headway Foundation's annual event Rendezvous was held with much fanfare in Chennai recently. Based in Chennai, the organization is dedicated to empowering people with disabilities.
Actor-turned-politician Kamal Haasan was the chief guest and the occasion saw the launch of the foundation's annual calendar. The calendar features 12 people with disabilities, all achievers in their respective fields.
This year the heroes featured include people with different types of disabilities.
Among those features is well known disability rights activist Ummul Khair.
The calendar for the year 2019 is themed "I am the Warrior" and I am glad to be featured in the calendar this year. The event was fully accessible for person with disabilities, there was a sign-language interpreter, each and everyone got a chance to share and speak on the stage and many well-trained volunteers were there to help. The event also created awareness about issues in accessibility. - Ummul Khair, Coordinator - Disability Legislation Unit and Legal Aid
"We look forward to collaborating with the Headway Foundation in our efforts to provide equal opportunities and create conscientious future citizens for India", said Tald Mathew George, Technical Manager, Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science, which supported the event.
People with disabilities also participated in a ramp walk hosted by actor Ashok Balakrishnan, Goodwill Ambassador, Headway Foundation. He also launched 'Idhuvum Saadhiyam', a film by a visually impaired person.
It was also a great day for the Wheelchair Basketball Federation of Tamil Nadu, which received a Cheque of Rs 6 lakh.
People with disabilities also presented a medley and dance performance to songs from Kamal Haasan's movies. Physically disabled cricket team from Tamil Nadu were also part of the event.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 #BeingMom - Vinayana Khurana's creative side was enhanced by mother Neerja
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - Behind swimming champ Ankita Anvikar's success story is mom Anjali
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Athlete Dutee Chand faces family expulsion for saying she is gay
- Employment May 19, 2019 At Indore workshop on workplace inclusion, corporates share learnings & inspiring stories
- Education May 23, 2019 Hyderabad schools strictly warned not to deny admission to children with disabilities
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Irfan signs up for Carribean Premier League players draft
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Seventh & final phase of voting in general elections today
- Headlines May 19, 2019 PM Modi responds to title of 'Divider in Chief'
- Headlines May 24, 2019 PM Modi's victory speech - Key Highlights
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News