Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
February 14, 2019
The Headway Foundation's annual event Rendezvous was held with much fanfare in Chennai recently. Based in Chennai, the organization is dedicated to empowering people with disabilities.
Actor-turned-politician Kamal Haasan was the chief guest and the occasion saw the launch of the foundation's annual calendar. The calendar features 12 people with disabilities, all achievers in their respective fields.
This year the heroes featured include people with different types of disabilities.
Among those features is well known disability rights activist Ummul Khair.
The calendar for the year 2019 is themed "I am the Warrior" and I am glad to be featured in the calendar this year. The event was fully accessible for person with disabilities, there was a sign-language interpreter, each and everyone got a chance to share and speak on the stage and many well-trained volunteers were there to help. The event also created awareness about issues in accessibility. - Ummul Khair, Coordinator - Disability Legislation Unit and Legal Aid
"We look forward to collaborating with the Headway Foundation in our efforts to provide equal opportunities and create conscientious future citizens for India", said Tald Mathew George, Technical Manager, Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science, which supported the event.
People with disabilities also participated in a ramp walk hosted by actor Ashok Balakrishnan, Goodwill Ambassador, Headway Foundation. He also launched 'Idhuvum Saadhiyam', a film by a visually impaired person.
It was also a great day for the Wheelchair Basketball Federation of Tamil Nadu, which received a Cheque of Rs 6 lakh.
People with disabilities also presented a medley and dance performance to songs from Kamal Haasan's movies. Physically disabled cricket team from Tamil Nadu were also part of the event.
Watch in Sign Language
- Differences in viewpoints must be respected. - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
August 26, 2019
- Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
August 26, 2019
- Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
August 25, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education August 21, 2019 Happy Hands School is enabling deaf children in rural Odisha to learn in sign language
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
- Parasports August 21, 2019 Indian para swimmers successfully swim the Catalina Channel, set Asia record
- Get-Hooked August 24, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 17 – Aug 23
- Get-Hooked August 25, 2019 South Korea’s Duckhee is 1st deaf tennis player to win men's professional tournament
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Para shuttler Pramod Bhagat's Arjuna Award glory marred by lack of recognition for head coach
- Accessibility August 26, 2019 Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
- Get-Hooked August 26, 2019 Differences in viewpoints must be respected. - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
- Parasports August 26, 2019 India para shuttlers win 12 medals at BWF World Championship Para-Badminton 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News