Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
February 14, 2019
The Headway Foundation's annual event Rendezvous was held with much fanfare in Chennai recently. Based in Chennai, the organization is dedicated to empowering people with disabilities.
Actor-turned-politician Kamal Haasan was the chief guest and the occasion saw the launch of the foundation's annual calendar. The calendar features 12 people with disabilities, all achievers in their respective fields.
This year the heroes featured include people with different types of disabilities.
Among those features is well known disability rights activist Ummul Khair.
The calendar for the year 2019 is themed "I am the Warrior" and I am glad to be featured in the calendar this year. The event was fully accessible for person with disabilities, there was a sign-language interpreter, each and everyone got a chance to share and speak on the stage and many well-trained volunteers were there to help. The event also created awareness about issues in accessibility. - Ummul Khair, Coordinator - Disability Legislation Unit and Legal Aid
"We look forward to collaborating with the Headway Foundation in our efforts to provide equal opportunities and create conscientious future citizens for India", said Tald Mathew George, Technical Manager, Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science, which supported the event.
People with disabilities also participated in a ramp walk hosted by actor Ashok Balakrishnan, Goodwill Ambassador, Headway Foundation. He also launched 'Idhuvum Saadhiyam', a film by a visually impaired person.
It was also a great day for the Wheelchair Basketball Federation of Tamil Nadu, which received a Cheque of Rs 6 lakh.
People with disabilities also presented a medley and dance performance to songs from Kamal Haasan's movies. Physically disabled cricket team from Tamil Nadu were also part of the event.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 20, 2019 Parent Interaction With Jo Chopra
- Accessibility March 19, 2019 Rising Star Tours & Travels is helping visually impaired people experience the magic of new places
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 My disability taught me to unlock my potential - My Take by Dhanya Ravi
- Events March 19, 2019 Annual Seminar on Inclusion & Accessibility of Deaf
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Anil Ambani pays dues, avoids jail term
- Accessibility March 21, 2019 A tactile toolkit that explains what periods are all about to girls with vision & hearing disabilities
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Trailer of biopic PM Narendra Modi gets over one million views
- Events March 20, 2019 4th National Blind Football Tournament
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Chennai tourist attraction, Elliot’s beach, set to become wheelchair accessible
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News