Munambam Beach in Kerala all set to become disabled-friendly
February 12, 2019
As part of the Kerala government's Barrier Free Tourism Project, many public places have been made accessible by installation of wheelchair ramps and Braille signage.
The latest to join the list is Munambam Beach in Ernakulam district. Shortly, or so authorities claim, wheelchair users can enjoy the breeze and chill out with family and friends at this beautiful beach.
A couple of days ago, District Collector K Mohammad Safirula and other officials reviewed the progress and they are said to be happy with the pace.
Anjurani Joy, an entrepreneur, singer and actor, says she can finally go to the beach on her wheelchair.
There were times when I wanted to go but could never do it due to lack of accessibility. A few months ago, I went to a beach in Alappuzha. I had to sit in the car at the main road. I could not even see the waters because of high walls. So, my father had to lift me and take me all the way to the beach. If the beach has wheelchair ramps, then more people can enjoy visiting them. - Anjurani Joy, Wheelchair user
Currently, the installation of wheelchair ramps is going on. A ramp, 10 metres long and two metres wide ramp, will be set up and this will be opened to the public. This ramp will take wheelchair users to the shore of Munambam beach where the famous Periyar River meets the sea.
Mohammed Rabeeh is a part of the Idam project that aims to make Tirur, a small town in Kerala, accessible and disabled-friendly.
"There are many disabled people who have not yet seen a beach just because these places are inaccessible. This project will help them come out of the four walls of their homes", says Rabeeh.
This new project of making Munambam Beach accessible is supported by ESAF, UN Habitat Global Public Space Programme, District Tourism Promotion Council and Livable Cities India. Recently, officials had made Alappuzha beach disabled-friendly by installing ramps. They had even promised Braille signage for visually impaired tourists. These new initiatives by Kerala government will definitely be a blessing to disabled tourists who visit God's own country
Watch in Sign Language
- Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
June 26, 2019
- Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
June 26, 2019
- Social media thread highlights barriers faced by disabled candidates at exam halls across India
June 26, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 23, 2019 ‘Kabir Singh’ becomes fourth-highest opener of 2019
- Parasports June 19, 2019 Tamil Nadu set to rock the National Wheelchair Basketball Championship
- Technology June 24, 2019 New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Snehankit Helpline for visually impaired students is helping them shine in academics
- Parasports June 20, 2019 Sonakshi Sinha likely to play the part of Paralympian Deepa Malik
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Panel to review ‘One Nation, One Election’ plan
- Events June 20, 2019 Special buddies program (Intermediate group)
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
- Parasports June 26, 2019 Ireland win puts para shuttler Pramod Bhagat among contenders for Tokyo Paralympics
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News