Kerala youngster Vijesh Vijayan wins battle for justice in Kerala High Court
March 19, 2019
In 2002, Vijesh Vijayan was 17 and like every other youngster his age, he had dreams and ambitions of making it big in life. Vijayan wanted to travel the world, explore new places.
Until that fateful day on 22 December when he suffered an accident at an amusement park that left him paralyzed below the neck and bedridden for over two years. This was at the well-known Veegaland Park in Kochi. Vijayan filed a case against the park and its Managing Director Kochouseph Chittilapilly, seeking compensation of Rs five lakhs. After a protracted legal battle, Vijayan has won the case.
After his accident, Vijayan was able to bounce back with the support of family and friends. The accident affected his body, but not his spirit. He went to Germany to pursue higher studies.
After the accident, I felt that my life had changed. But I have a great family and some really good friends whom I can count on. They helped me get my life back in order. I underwent years of treatment and now I am able to sit up straight and use my wheelchair. I have many goals to achieve and after winning the case, I feel more positive. - Vijesh Vijayan
Battle for Justice
However, Vijayan can never forget the circumstances of his accident and the long fight. Chittilapilly had promised to sponsor his treatment for life and gave him a cheque of Rs 50,000 as the accident was the result of poorly maintained equipment.
Neither the check nor were the other promises honoured, alleges Vijayan. Despite many attempts, Chittilapilly did not reach out to him and it was then that Vijayan went to court.
"I do not want to keep any grudges, I just wanted justice which the court has helped deliver, But this money cannot make up for what I have suffered for years", says Vijayan.
Supporting him in this quest for justice is Sally Varma, a social worker and close friend. "Vijesh is an epitome of courage in the face of adversity. The tragedy that befell him at a young age has not made him depressed in life. Instead, it has made him more determined to overcome hardships. It is really sad that his plight was ignored by Chittilapilly whose establishment was responsible for the accident".
For 16 years Vijayan waited for Chittilapilly to honour his promises. Vijayan is a happy man now.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 #RareDiseases - Indian Rett Syndrome Foundation is raising awareness about this genetic brain disorder
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Kangana accuses media of defamation
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Freedom Carnival 2019 celebrates inclusion with children with disabilities
- Headlines July 14, 2019 Middle order batsman failed, causing India's collapse, says coach
- Headlines July 14, 2019 Kumaraswamy calls for floor test amid political crisis
- Headlines July 14, 2019 6 dead, lakhs homeless in Assam floods
- Technology July 16, 2019 Research offers hope for restoring sight in acid attack victims
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 Parenting corner - Autism and Aggression
- Accessibility July 12, 2019 Coimbatore City Municipal Corporation gets set to make buildings accessible
- Parasports July 14, 2019 Para chess champ Jennitha Anto does India proud yet again
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News