Kerala youngster Vijesh Vijayan wins battle for justice in Kerala High Court
March 19, 2019
In 2002, Vijesh Vijayan was 17 and like every other youngster his age, he had dreams and ambitions of making it big in life. Vijayan wanted to travel the world, explore new places.
Until that fateful day on 22 December when he suffered an accident at an amusement park that left him paralyzed below the neck and bedridden for over two years. This was at the well-known Veegaland Park in Kochi. Vijayan filed a case against the park and its Managing Director Kochouseph Chittilapilly, seeking compensation of Rs five lakhs. After a protracted legal battle, Vijayan has won the case.
After his accident, Vijayan was able to bounce back with the support of family and friends. The accident affected his body, but not his spirit. He went to Germany to pursue higher studies.
After the accident, I felt that my life had changed. But I have a great family and some really good friends whom I can count on. They helped me get my life back in order. I underwent years of treatment and now I am able to sit up straight and use my wheelchair. I have many goals to achieve and after winning the case, I feel more positive. - Vijesh Vijayan
Battle for Justice
However, Vijayan can never forget the circumstances of his accident and the long fight. Chittilapilly had promised to sponsor his treatment for life and gave him a cheque of Rs 50,000 as the accident was the result of poorly maintained equipment.
Neither the check nor were the other promises honoured, alleges Vijayan. Despite many attempts, Chittilapilly did not reach out to him and it was then that Vijayan went to court.
"I do not want to keep any grudges, I just wanted justice which the court has helped deliver, But this money cannot make up for what I have suffered for years", says Vijayan.
Supporting him in this quest for justice is Sally Varma, a social worker and close friend. "Vijesh is an epitome of courage in the face of adversity. The tragedy that befell him at a young age has not made him depressed in life. Instead, it has made him more determined to overcome hardships. It is really sad that his plight was ignored by Chittilapilly whose establishment was responsible for the accident".
For 16 years Vijayan waited for Chittilapilly to honour his promises. Vijayan is a happy man now.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News