Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
February 12, 2019
The Ernakulam chapter of the Autism Club conducted an event, exclusively for children with autism. Called The Spectrum Spectacle, this was an event where children with autism performed dance and music and showcased their talents on a public platform.
The event was organized by Autism Voice, a monthly editorial that carries literary works of children with autism. The event was held at Krithi International Book Fair at Marine Drive in Kochi. Mr Hesham Abdul Wahab, one of Kerala's popular singers, inaugurated the event where over 20 children with autism performed.
Deepthi Mathews is the Chief Editor of Autism Voice.
Our society has still many misconceptions about people with disabilities. For a long time, we have been looking out for an event that is inclusive. That is when organizers of Krithi contacted us and asked us to be a part of the book fair. We had children from different parts of Kerala perform on Sunday. Our children are exceptionally talented. We are happy that they got an inclusive platform to showcase it-Deepthi Mathews, Chief Editor, Autism Voice
Apart from performing dance and music, children did mind reading, speed maths and drawing.
"This was an opportunity for us to tell the world that our children have the talents. All the skills that they showcased at the event are not something that their parents taught them. It has been inside them from birth. Parents and teachers could only nurture it", says Mathews.
Sujith, a 25-year-old B.Com graduate with autism was also part of the event. He lives in Palakkad. Sujith's father Anantha Krishnan says that the event was an exciting experience for his son.
"This is the first time that Sujith is performing at a public platform. It was truly an eye-opener for him. He participated in day prediction and speed maths. He also sang a few songs. It was truly a remarkable evening", says Anantha Krishnan.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Encephalitis deaths rise across Bihar, M.P under alert
- Get-hooked June 20, 2019 Nandavanam centre is changing lives of disabled kids with a blend of tradition & compassion
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Love, Marriage & Disability - couples share their stories
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Snehankit Helpline for visually impaired students is helping them shine in academics
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Zakker Hussain’s relentless commitment to social work is admired by many people
- Events June 23, 2019 Certificate Course on Down Syndrome
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Education June 19, 2019 Parents, special educators group files RTI into status of inclusive education in Kerala
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News