Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
The Ernakulam chapter of the Autism Club conducted an event, exclusively for children with autism. Called The Spectrum Spectacle, this was an event where children with autism performed dance and music and showcased their talents on a public platform.
The event was organized by Autism Voice, a monthly editorial that carries literary works of children with autism. The event was held at Krithi International Book Fair at Marine Drive in Kochi. Mr Hesham Abdul Wahab, one of Kerala’s popular singers, inaugurated the event where over 20 children with autism performed.
Deepthi Mathews is the Chief Editor of Autism Voice.
Our society has still many misconceptions about people with disabilities. For a long time, we have been looking out for an event that is inclusive. That is when organizers of Krithi contacted us and asked us to be a part of the book fair. We had children from different parts of Kerala perform on Sunday. Our children are exceptionally talented. We are happy that they got an inclusive platform to showcase it-Deepthi Mathews, Chief Editor, Autism Voice
Apart from performing dance and music, children did mind reading, speed maths and drawing.
“This was an opportunity for us to tell the world that our children have the talents. All the skills that they showcased at the event are not something that their parents taught them. It has been inside them from birth. Parents and teachers could only nurture it”, says Mathews.
Sujith, a 25-year-old B.Com graduate with autism was also part of the event. He lives in Palakkad. Sujith’s father Anantha Krishnan says that the event was an exciting experience for his son.
“This is the first time that Sujith is performing at a public platform. It was truly an eye-opener for him. He participated in day prediction and speed maths. He also sang a few songs. It was truly a remarkable evening”, says Anantha Krishnan.
Watch in Sign Language
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 17, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe- Session 3
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajasthan Royals will wear pink this IPL season
- Accessibility February 19, 2019 Kerala government launches projects to empower visually impaired people
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News