Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
February 12, 2019
The Ernakulam chapter of the Autism Club conducted an event, exclusively for children with autism. Called The Spectrum Spectacle, this was an event where children with autism performed dance and music and showcased their talents on a public platform.
The event was organized by Autism Voice, a monthly editorial that carries literary works of children with autism. The event was held at Krithi International Book Fair at Marine Drive in Kochi. Mr Hesham Abdul Wahab, one of Kerala's popular singers, inaugurated the event where over 20 children with autism performed.
Deepthi Mathews is the Chief Editor of Autism Voice.
Our society has still many misconceptions about people with disabilities. For a long time, we have been looking out for an event that is inclusive. That is when organizers of Krithi contacted us and asked us to be a part of the book fair. We had children from different parts of Kerala perform on Sunday. Our children are exceptionally talented. We are happy that they got an inclusive platform to showcase it-Deepthi Mathews, Chief Editor, Autism Voice
Apart from performing dance and music, children did mind reading, speed maths and drawing.
"This was an opportunity for us to tell the world that our children have the talents. All the skills that they showcased at the event are not something that their parents taught them. It has been inside them from birth. Parents and teachers could only nurture it", says Mathews.
Sujith, a 25-year-old B.Com graduate with autism was also part of the event. He lives in Palakkad. Sujith's father Anantha Krishnan says that the event was an exciting experience for his son.
"This is the first time that Sujith is performing at a public platform. It was truly an eye-opener for him. He participated in day prediction and speed maths. He also sang a few songs. It was truly a remarkable evening", says Anantha Krishnan.
Watch in Sign Language
- Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
April 20, 2019
- Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
April 20, 2019
- #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
April 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News