Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
February 16, 2019
Faced with longstanding apathy, Maharashtra's deaf community is considering a boycott of the coming national election.
The State Level Association Deaf (SLAD) , a leading organization in Maharashtra, has held many meetings to press for their demands with the government, but nothing concrete has emerged so far.
The organization represents the deaf community in the state and feels fed up of the way they are being ignored by policymakers. To make their presence felt, they have decided that the entire deaf community will boycott the election.
We the deaf people of Maharashtra have decided not to vote in elections as we are fed up of the false promises made to us by politicians ad government heads. Even after the passage of the RPWD2016 Act, the deaf people are still waiting for their welfare and development. Unlike people with other disabilities, deaf people are being ignored and no one is bothered about our sufferings. We have been raising our demands since 2012 and are still waiting for justice. There are no accessibility and inclusion considerations made when it comes to the need of deaf people. - Pradeep More, General Secretary,SLAD
On behalf of the deaf community, SLAD members have submitted their demands to Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis but even after assurances, promises remain unfulfilled.
The SLAD's idea has found widespread support among the deaf community. Dhananjay Desai from Parbhani, says he plans to follow the decision.
"I am disappointed in the false promises made by the politicians and have decided not to cast my vote in the upcoming general elections. None of the political parties have taken any interest in the welfare of the deaf community. When it's time for elections, political parties come for vote but do nothing for us once they are elected", says Desai.
The demands made by SLAD are:
Quality education for children of deaf community.
Higher education courses such as BA, BCOM, BSC, Engineering, pharmacy, B.Ed should be free.
Technology institutes for deaf
Books of sign Language in Hindi, English, and Marathi for classes 1 to12.
Proper test should be conducted to identify deaf people as many people get fake disability certificates and get jobs.
Issuance of fake disability certificates should be curbed.
Inclusion for students who are deaf.
Employment opportunity in every district of Maharashtra.
Written test shouldn't be mandatory for government jobs.
Deaf people should be allowed to drive vehicles.
Committees should be set up for welfare of deaf community.
People with 80%- 100% deafness should be given government jobs.
Deaf people should be give jobs at bus stations, Jilha Adhikari offices.
CBI investigation into the working of Ali Yavar Jung National Institute Bandra (Mumbai).
Interpreter presence be made mandatory for meetings of deaf people and the government should pay for these services.
- Rules be framed for recruitment of teachers for special schools for deaf people.
There are around 15 lakh people in Maharashtra who are deaf, a sizeable presence that is seeking to make itself heard.
Watch in Sign Language
- Differences in viewpoints must be respected. - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
August 26, 2019
- Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
August 26, 2019
- Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
August 25, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
- Technology August 24, 2019 #InclusionChamps: Nekram Upadhyay’s May Ability Kit wins him national disability award for 2019
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
- Get-Hooked August 20, 2019 Inclusive Spotfix initiative to beauty Bangalore roads
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 Hydrotherapist Amal Upadhyay is convinced about the healing powers of swimming
- Education August 21, 2019 Happy Hands School is enabling deaf children in rural Odisha to learn in sign language
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Ex-minister P Chidambaram arrested
- Parasports August 20, 2019 “Never give up, live life to the fullest”- My Take by triple amputee & Trekker Sekhar Goud
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Kamal Nath’s nephew arrested for fraud
- Parasports August 21, 2019 Indian para swimmers successfully swim the Catalina Channel, set Asia record
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News