Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
In India, mental health is not given the priority and importance that it deserves. Most people tend to overlook their mental wellbeing and ignore symptoms such as anxiety, stress and depression leading to worsening of the problems.
Depression is a mental illness and affects millions of people across the world. Depression can occur due to several reasons. Today we will talk about how Serotonin can affect mental health and cause depression.
Serotonin is a chemical found in our bodies and serves a wide range of functions. It regulates the nervous system, body temperatures, muscle tone and digestion among other functions.
According to Anupama Kapur, the senior-most Psychologist associated with 'Unlimited Potentialities', Serotonin plays a vital role in our lives.
It is an important chemical and neurotransmitter found in our brain. It works to relay signals from one neuron or brain cell to the other in our brain. Lack or low levels of serotonin are linked to our mental and physical well-being. It directly affects our mood, thinking, sleep and appetite. It has been linked to illnesses such as Depression in which all the above are affected. Exercise and certain types of food can increase serotonin levels.
The imbalance of Serotonin levels in our body causes many health issues. Here are some symptoms of Serotonin imbalance.
Feeling stressed and anxious often, worrying frequently.
Sleep disturbances, light sleeping, insomnia.
Mood swings and change in temper, suicidal thoughts.
Lack of confidence, low self-esteem.
Craving for sweet food
Feeling tired all the time.
Migraine and headaches
Digestion related issues.
- Pain sensitivity
Dr Venkat Iyer is a Psychiatrist and has been successfully treating patients with Serotonin deficiency for years.
He spoke to NewzHook about why Serotonin is important for us.
"Serotonin is happiness neurotransmitter secreted in the brain which relieve stress in daily life. It's precursor is tryptophan which is available in fruits, all especially Banana and Curd which is not sour. The deficiency of Serotonin can cause many physical Illnesses besides depression and anxiety."
Dr Iyer stresses on the need for awareness about mental health in our society. Many people suffer in silence as they feel embarrassed to talk about their mental health problems due to the stigma.
There is nothing to be ashamed of if you need help of a professional, it will help you lead a better and happier life. Do seek help from Psychiatrist if you sense any of the Serotonin deficiency signs in yourself or your loved ones.
ALSO READ: Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 18, 2019 PM says Congress expects to perform badly
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 #BeingMom - Vinayana Khurana's creative side was enhanced by mother Neerja
- Get-hooked May 15, 2019 Some tips to support children with multiple disabilities
- Employment May 17, 2019 La-Monnaie Skills enables disabled youth to flower into resourceful, contributing citizens
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 From working for underprivileged kids to disability rights advocacy, Diksha wears many hats
- Parasports May 20, 2019 Passion for sports keeps Amresh's spirits up through the worst of times
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines May 16, 2019 Violence in West Bengal over vandalising of iconic statue
- Get-hooked May 14, 2019 #BeingMom – Celebrating my mother, Mrs Krishna Kumari – My Take by Aparna Murthy
- Headlines May 15, 2019 No chance of a Third Front says DMK leader Stalin
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News