Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
February 13, 2019
Former Indian cricketer Gautam Gambhir has reacted strongly to an attack on Delhi and Districts Cricket Association Chairman Amit Bhandari. Bhandari was attacked during the Under-23 team trials in New Delhi by a player who was not selected.
Gambhir shared his anger on Twitter:
Disgusted to see this happen right in the heart of the Capital. This can't slip under the carpet and I will personally ensure it doesn't. To begin with I am calling for a life ban from all cricket for the player who orchestrated this attack post his non-selection. - Gautam Gambhir, Former India cricketer
Ex-cricketer Virender Sehwag also reacted to the attack and said, "The attack on Delhi selector Amit Bhandari for not picking a player is a new low and I am hopeful that stringent action will be taken against the culprit and adequate measures will be taken to avoid such incidents".
In a statement the DDCA said that Bhandari was attacked by Anuj Dheda and his other 14 accomplices after he did not select him. Police said that Dheda has been arrested along with his accomplice.
In a statement, the police said that Bhandari was approached by a player while he was watching a match and asked why he was not selected. When Bhandari responded saying the decision was based on merit, a group of people started attacking him.
Bhandari is in hospital under observation and is said to be stable.
Watch in Sign Language
- Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
May 21, 2019
- Athlete Dutee Chand faces family expulsion for saying she is gay
May 21, 2019
- Sensex witness steep high after exit poll results
May 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events May 15, 2019 Volunteer to make GiftAbled Colourful
- Events May 15, 2019 Summer camp
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Irfan signs up for Carribean Premier League players draft
- Get-hooked May 14, 2019 The Relic, a novel by team of 2 disabled writers has many readers hooked
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 These friends banded together in the aftermath of the Kerala floods to help people with disabilities
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 Understanding Chronic Pain
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Virat is 1st cricketer with 100 million fans on social media
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Stay cool this summer, some tips for wheelchair users
- Headlines May 18, 2019 PM says Congress expects to perform badly
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Athlete Dutee Chand faces family expulsion for saying she is gay
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News