17 people killed in fire that broke out at Delhi hotel
February 13, 2019
In a shocking incident, 17 people were killed in a fire that broke out at Hotel Arpit Palace at Karol Bagh in New Delhi. More than three people were injured, and their condition is critical. A mother and child died while they were trying to jump out from a window during the fire. The hotel is a very popular budget hotel in the area which is very crowded. The reason for breaking out of the fire is unknown. Investigations have already begun but initial reports state that the reason was a short circuit.
The fire broke out at around 4 am when most of the guests were sleeping. Most of them died due to suffocation. The fire was mostly seen in the topmost floor of the six storey hotel. It took almost 25 fire engines to extinguish the fire. The topmost floors of the hotel were built illegally. This latest fire accident throws light on the negligence of authorities in ensuring fire safety in prominent places.
Very sad to learn about the loss of lives in the tragic fire accident in Karol Bagh, Delhi. Heartfelt condolences to bereaved families and wishing an early recovery to those injured #PresidentKovind-Ramnath Kovind, President of India
The hotel is almost 25 years old. There were nearly 100 guests inside the hotel when the fire broke out. The Delhi government has announced a compensation of Rs 5 lakhs to families of all the 17 people who died in the accident.
"Deeply saddened by the loss of lives due to a fire at Karol Bagh in Delhi. I convey my condolences to the families of those who lost their lives. May the injured recover soon: PM @narendramodi", tweeted Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 24, 2019 PM Modi's victory speech - Key Highlights
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Para athlete Javed Choudhari to dance up a storm on reality show Dance Deewane
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Athlete Dutee Chand faces family expulsion for saying she is gay
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Video of physically disabled Zomato delivery boy wins hearts on social media
- Parasports May 20, 2019 Passion for sports keeps Amresh's spirits up through the worst of times
- Accessibility May 23, 2019 Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Irfan signs up for Carribean Premier League players draft
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 Music knows no boundaries so why barriers at concert venues, ask disabled music lovers
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Disability rights activist Prajith Jaipal to hit the road to promote awareness
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News