Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
February 16, 2019
The United States government has condemned the terror attack in Pulwama, Jammu and Kashmir that claimed the lives of over 40 CRPF personnel and left many injured. The White House has asked Pakistan to immediately end support to all terror groups.
Pakistan-based outfit Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) has claimed responsibility for the attack on Thursday that left over 40 personnel dead and many critically wounded. A Jaish suicide bomber rammed a vehicle carrying over 350 kg of explosives into security buses in Pulwama.
The United States calls on Pakistan to end immediately the support and safe haven provided to all terrorist groups operating on its soil, whose only goal is to sow chaos, violence, and terror in the region. This attack only strengthens our resolve to bolster counter-terrorism cooperation and coordination between the United States and India - Sarah Sanders, White House Press Secretary
The attack seems to have been the result of a massive intelligence failure. Sources said the JeM uploaded a video showing an attack in Afghanistan, where an explosive-laden vehicle used. The state police had shared the video and input about the possible attack with intelligence agencies.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has cancelled all political programs planned to campaign for the upcoming national election. He held a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) to discuss the attack and the security situation with top ministers. The three military chiefs were also present. The government has promised action and Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has tweeted"Terrorists will be given unforgettable lesson for their heinous act".
Congress president Rahul Gandhi cancelled a lunch with envoys of G-20 countries and his sister Priyanka Gandhi Vadra called off her first press conference, saying it was not an appropriate time to talk politics.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Sensex witness steep high after exit poll results
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Exit polls predict comfortable win for BJP
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Delhi Police reacts to Kejriwal’s comment on security
- Accessibility May 20, 2019 Goa election officials, NGOs come together to conduct accessibility audit of polling booths
- Parasports May 22, 2019 Para swimmers to battle sharks, icy waters in Catalina Channel, aim for Ocean Seven challenge
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 These friends banded together in the aftermath of the Kerala floods to help people with disabilities
- Headlines May 24, 2019 World leaders congratulate PM Modi
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Virat is 1st cricketer with 100 million fans on social media
- Headlines May 23, 2019 India launches new spy satellite
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Irfan signs up for Carribean Premier League players draft
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News