Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
February 18, 2019
The Kozhikode Art Gallery, a well-known cultural space is in the dock for its shocking display of apathy towards people with disabilities.
This is after a recent art exhibition held on its premises was inaccessible to wheelchair users as waste had been dumped on it. Ironically, the exhibition focus was on people with Disabilities.
What has infuriated the disabled community even further is the lack of any action taken when this was pointed out. All that the authorities did was throw their hands up and say nothing could be done.
The All Kerala Wheelchair Rights Federation (AKWRF), Kozhikode wing, is planning to take action and have met the assistant district collector who has promised speedy action to ensure the gallery is accessible again.
Riyas N P, Kozhikode District Secretary, All Kerala Wheelchair Rights Federation is also talking to gallery officials about this.
Authorities have dumped waste at the entrance where the wheelchair ramp is kept. Moreover, there is not even a door there. There were many wheelchair users who wanted to attend the art exhibition last week. But they just could not enter. We hope quick action will be taken to enable equal participation of people with disabilities everywhere. - Riyas N P, District Secretary, Kozhikode, All Kerala Wheelchair Rights Federation
The gallery has violated the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016, which clearly states that all public places must be made accessible for disabled people. And this kind of violation is not a one off despite the law.
Ashique N T, Vice President, AKWRF, Kozhikode said they plan to keep petitioning the authorities until suitable steps are taken by the gallery to rectify this.
"We are demanding our rights and we must get it at any cost. We could not meet the district collector but his deputy has said she would do her best to ensure we get justice legally. Most wheelchair users in the city never visited the art gallery but since this one was on disabled people, we decided to check it out", he says.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Kerala youngster Vijesh Vijayan wins battle for justice in Kerala High Court
- Headlines March 20, 2019 One CRPF jawan killed, six others injured in naxal attack
- Events March 20, 2019 Session by Smrithy Rajesh
- Accessibility March 13, 2019 Railways' refusal to accept UDID cards underlines larger apathy towards disabled passengers
- Get-hooked March 13, 2019 Diversity in fashion gets a major push at this Big Bazaar event with disabled people walking the ramp
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 My disability taught me to unlock my potential - My Take by Dhanya Ravi
- Get-hooked March 14, 2019 Madras High Court directs implementation of 3% job quota for disabled people, activists unhappy
- Get-hooked March 13, 2019 Don't let headphones damage your ears, says experts
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Rahul Gandhi PM Modi over chowkidaar campaign
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News